Whiting are a lot more aggressive than a lot of people think, the surf where they like to hunt is typically fast moving water , covered in suds and pretty shallow, the red tube (i think) just gives them a bit of an extra visual target area, they are pretty good visual hunters in the estuaries which is why poppers work pretty well for them, blades arent a bad option either on mudbanks.

• Like 2

Not to steal the spotlight away from Pugzthugz original question but;

Are whiting still able to be commonly caught off beaches during winter ? From what I have learnt  from  the most knowledgeable fisho of us all (Google) it seems whiting are more of a summer species ?

Edited by TheSillySalmon
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, TheSillySalmon said:

Not to steal the spotlight away from Pugzthugz original question but;

Are whiting still able to be commonly caught off beaches during winter ? From what I have learnt  from  the most knowledgeable fisho of us all (Google) it seems whiting are more of a summer species ?

You can still get whiting in winter just gotta work harder, as it starts to warm up you can get whiting on popper on the sand flats. Same goes for beaches just gotta persist

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whiting are a year wide target but you have to adjust your methods.   The big ones travel up river in winter and get very subtle in their bite but still fight just as much.   We regularly get them over 40cm in winter with not many undersize.  Went last week and managed 8 myself but no really big unes with 6 being between 34 and 36cm.  Still a couple of good feeds.  Ron

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:49 PM, SickWolf said:

If your gonna hold your rod i suggest paternoster but if setting and forgetting then running ball sinker rig is the go. 

Just curious, why the difference between the two scenarios?

On 10/15/2018 at 7:45 AM, seasponge said:

Just curious, why the difference between the two scenarios?

With paternoster, if ur holding the rod u can strike when u get a bite, and it allows you to fish multiple baits on one rig, but with running sinker, it’s designed so that the fish takes it, doesnt feel any resistance (say, a person or a sinker) and takes off. So with paternoster, its less likely to keep a fish if you leave the rod because the fish might spit it out or be more skittish.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:35 PM, SickWolf said:

With paternoster, if ur holding the rod u can strike when u get a bite, and it allows you to fish multiple baits on one rig, but with running sinker, it’s designed so that the fish takes it, doesnt feel any resistance (say, a person or a sinker) and takes off. So with paternoster, its less likely to keep a fish if you leave the rod because the fish might spit it out or be more skittish.

Makes sense, thanks