ANOTHER DRUMMER!

sydneyelvis

Following my last post I was at it again last week on Friday and then a quick session on Sunday.

Same system again... burley with white bread and prawn shells. Peeled prawn on a hook below a pea sinker and a bobby cork and hold on.

Friday was great fun with 6 drummer between 32 and 40 cm and a cracker bream as a welcome by catch at 35cm. All in just over an hour. Kept the bream for dinner and sent the drummer back for another day.

Saturday went out on to the rocks, saw the swell, decided I wanted to stay alive and ran home to a couple of whiskies.

Sunday afternoon I went out for under an hour with my left over smelly prawns which I had kept with the left over bread in a plastic bag in the fridge. Wife was definitely not happy! But the burley by now was terrific!

Swell had died down a fair bit and there was plenty of wash. First fish was this cracker at 46 cm! I kept him and bled him straight away.

Three more smaller models were caught as well with the smallest being 32 cm. They all went back.

As the sun set and the temperature dropped I called it a day.

A quick fillet and the wife cooked up a basic fish and chips meal that was simply out of this world.

drummer 15 july.jpg

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, sydneyelvis said:

saw the swell, decided I wanted to stay alive and ran home to a couple of whiskies.

Very wise - there's always another day

34 minutes ago, sydneyelvis said:

Wife was definitely not happy! But the burley by now was terrific!

Laughed out loud when I read this!

35 minutes ago, sydneyelvis said:

First fish was this cracker at 46 cm! I

Thats a top fish - well done. When they get to this size and bigger its a fair dinkum battle for about 30 seconds, by which time you've either got him or he's snqpped you off or found a cave (same result)

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2018 at 11:27 PM, SickWolf said:

Watching everyone around me catch drummer while i have my bait stripped off my hook by massive yakkas and slimeys makes me rethink my whole “fisherman” thing

You using the same rig and bait?

I find that most guys that lose their baits when fishing drummer off the rocks are doing three things

1. Not fishing deep enough if using a float

2. Not fishing heavy enough. As the baits drifts down the water column, the longer it takes to get down to the strike zone the more likely the bait will not make it intact.

3. Bait size. Larger baits catch larger fish... Larger baits bring all sorts of fish. Small fish will peck at it and it gives the bait time for a bigger fish to come have a nip

• Like 1