Long session in Mosman

Oli

I braved the cold and took the bus to Mosman at around quarter past 7 with a good mate of mine. Although it was quite cold, there was no wind, so i reckoned i was going to be alright. I didn't really make a plan, so we just brought a few light rods for bait fishing and squidding, a rod for lure fishing and a livie rod just in case. Compared to summer, the spot wasn't too crowded, with only 3 people at the spot. Within moments i caught 1 arrow squid and decided to keep it alive. When i was walking towards the spot, I noticed some cabbage weed growing on some rocks, so i decided to gather some for bait and burley for luderick fishing. Luckily, i had a metal teaspoon on me, so gathering the cabbage wasn't too difficult. The fishing was pretty hard, but i eventually got a decent-sized luderick, around 35cm in length.  I'm not an experienced blackfish fisherman, so i was pretty happy to catch one. With the water being crystal clear, the luderick were very shy, and as soon as they saw me, they got scared and swam for cover. A while after, i managed to catch another luderick of around the same size, and I also saw my friend land a nice-sized sand flathead. After a few hours I ran out of cabbage weed, but luckily, my friend brought some weed flies. From noon till 3 i managed to catch 2 luderick on the fly. The fights that the fish put up were amazing. The last one wrapped my line up in structure 2 times, and I was sure that I was going to lose that fish. However, the line somehow didn't snap, and I managed to land it. My friend was fishing where the water was very deep, and I found out that he managed to catch one slimy mackerel on a metal lure, and managed to catch 7 squid. With 4 luderick, 1 flathead, 1 slimy mackerel and 8 arrow squid to keep, we decided to call it quits at 3 in the afternoon. I was pretty happy with the results, and i reckon we learnt a few things about the spot we went to today. I was especially happy about taking the opportunity to fish for blackfish, as I finally learnt a spot that can produce quality luderick with a good bait supply not too far away. 

IMG_0772.thumb.JPG.6197368c29aaed8af5733ef1fcbb352b.JPG

Cheers,

Oli

• Like 2