New PFD needed. Advice please

Volitan

Hi. I need a new PFD. My previous one was lost somehow.

i have been given a $100 voucher from a shop, and by chance they are having a sale on PFDs so I will probably get one there.

This is their range, 

https://www.a shop.com.au/promotions/members-sale/marlin-pfds?srule=Price High-Low&segment=1&page=1

the problem is I find choosing the right PFD very confusing. I’ve Googled a lot but it doesn’t help much, I guess the missing factor that the internet doesn’t tell me is how comfortable things are to wear.

i Have two uses for this thing

1. In small boats, and ocassionally perhaps in a kayak. I would want to wear it all the time in the boat. It would be all estuaries and inland waterways.

2. Rock fishing. Again I would be keeping it on all the time. I don’t do much rock fishing though so wouldn’t be too concerned about comfort. This would be ocean rock platforms. I pick my days.

I would prefer not inflatable, as I don’t want anything that requires yearly maintenance, plus if it’s something that requires human interaction to inflate then I’m not confident I’d be sufficiently panic-free to inflate if washed off the rocks.

so can anyone recommend something for these uses?

my thoughts:  I rather like the look of the Adult Kayak PFD 50 but would a 50 be enough for rock fishing? A 100 would be better but the collars are big and bulky and look like a nuisance? Anyone ?

cheers

V.

Im looking for a pfd/life jacket myself for rock fishing but the ones at a shop seem to be either uncomfortable and stifling or just low quality. I have recently been looking into the iso life jackets and they are breathable and light but cost an arm and a leg. And then some!

Most of the iso ones I’ve seen have been inflatables. When think8ng about inflatables I’m reminded about some figures I’ve read on scuba diving deaths. It seems a large proportion of dead divers recovered still have their weight belts on. Without the weight belts they’d be positively buoyant and in no real danger, but it seems when emergencies happen then panic kicks in and very few divers actually remember to drop their weight belt. I don’t know what the figures on rock fishing are but I can imagine getting washed off the rocks and thrown about in the surge zone and bashed against the rocks - I think a lot of people would panic and the fact that they have the option to inflate their jacket wouldn’t come into their cognition at all.

So I’ll go for foam filled, even if they are a bit uncomfortable.

Edited by Volitan

I know you said 'prefer not inflatable' but those older styles are super hot in summer.

Also don't forget they are rated & if your fishing off ocean facing rocks you would need an open water model which is why there is a collar.

If you are interested I have 2 near new older foam PFD's I no longer want, I think one is a 150 open water model Marlin with a collar & 1 looks the same as the Adult Dominator PFD enclosed waters but I think its a 100, I will have to check both, I think they are large or XL, I would have to check but think they changed the rating a little while ago?

Anyway 1 is open water the other is enclosed waters

You are welcome to them for nothing but you would have to be able to pick them up from Sydney or pay for postage.

Let me know if your interested & I can send you a picture if you like.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SickWolf said:

Im looking for a pfd/life jacket myself for rock fishing but the ones at a shop seem to be either uncomfortable and stifling or just low quality. I have recently been looking into the iso life jackets and they are breathable and light but cost an arm and a leg. And then some!

I saw an email recently that if caught using an iso style pfd off the rocks you may get a fina as they don't comply!

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/rock-fishers-warned-on-non-compliant-iso-fishing-jackets?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter Mon 16 July 2018&utm_content=Newsletter Mon 16 July 2018+CID_0fdb3287f0987898983d9c5671cec803&utm_source=Email marketing software&utm_term=Read more

3 hours ago, SickWolf said:

I just got a life jacket and it fits well, its light, its not inflatable and there are pockets for extra tackle and such. $130 seems pretty good to me

What brand and model ?

5 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I know you said 'prefer not inflatable' but those older styles are super hot in summer.

Also don't forget they are rated & if your fishing off ocean facing rocks you would need an open water model which is why there is a collar.

If you are interested I have 2 near new older foam PFD's I no longer want, I think one is a 150 open water model Marlin with a collar & 1 looks the same as the Adult Dominator PFD enclosed waters but I think its a 100, I will have to check both, I think they are large or XL, I would have to check but think they changed the rating a little while ago?

Anyway 1 is open water the other is enclosed waters

You are welcome to them for nothing but you would have to be able to pick them up from Sydney or pay for postage.

Let me know if your interested & I can send you a picture if you like.

That’s a very generous offer but I’m going to decline due to having the gift card and nothing else I want to buy with it. Of course it would be good to see it offered to some other raider?

cheers and thanks

V.

• Like 1

There are PFD's that automatically activate if you fall in the drink.

They are the same as the ones where you need human interaction but are automatic. They are a bit dearer (around $150) but this is the closest you will get to comfort whilst fishing.

1 hour ago, Sigma said:

There are PFD's that automatically activate if you fall in the drink.

They are the same as the ones where you need human interaction but are automatic. They are a bit dearer (around $150) but this is the closest you will get to comfort whilst fishing.

Ok, thanks. I wondered if they existed but couldn’t tell from the adverts exactly what was meant by ‘automatic’.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Volitan said:

That’s a very generous offer but I’m going to decline due to having the gift card and nothing else I want to buy with it.

Wow, I have everything I need but can still think of at least 10 things I would rather spend my money on over life jackets ?.

All good, just offering a member something for nothing as I am a firm believer in karma.

Enjoy what you eventually get.

The "automatic" ones still need periodic maintenance I believe and it should be done by an authorised person. I may be corrected on that. They are water activated so I don't know what happens if they get really wet and you're not in the water??? bn

11 minutes ago, big Neil said:

The "automatic" ones still need periodic maintenance I believe and it should be done by an authorised person. I may be corrected on that. They are water activated so I don't know what happens if they get really wet and you're not in the water??? bn

Apparently the more common auto ones can be activated by a good drenching, but there are now ‘barometric’ ones which need to be submerged to a certain depth to go off. Technology catches up.

i still think I’ll go low tech and get foam filled, I don’t want something that needs regular service as I know myself and I know I’ll let it slide sooner or later.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, big Neil said:

They can be self-tested yearly and should be. You weigh the gas canister, test the firing mechanism, inflate it and leave it overnight. When the canister has passed the expiry date, you fit a new one and change the sensor when needed.

If they get really wet when not in the boat, they inflate. I know this because I left a couple in my forward storage locker while I was giving the boat a thorough wash down. I wondered what the hissing noise was! ? They were still useable - I just had to replace the gas cylinder and the sensor and trigger clip thingy (I like technical words like that! ?). When it’s time to change cylinders etc., before you do, it’s worth testing the jacket by jumping off a jetty to see how it activates. Gives you more confidence knowing they work.

incidentally, if you’re worried about them going off in the rain, heavy sea spray etc., you can buy auto jackets designed for ocean yacht racers (who get wet all the time) - they are designed to go off when you are immersed in the water.

I would check if there are still free  rockfishing safety courses with free PFDs - held by Alex B. and Randwick Co.

Here is an interesting article re PFD class requirements for boat size/waters in NSW

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safety-rules/safety-equipment/lifejackets.html#Lifejacketstandards

I use "soft" offshore 100 class PFD for rocks&kayak with normal size collar. Keeps me warm in winter/cold mornings or nights

Dont worry much about "nuisance" - it might save your head or neck on the slippery rocks. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

They can be self-tested yearly and should be. You weigh the gas canister, test the firing mechanism, inflate it and leave it overnight. When the canister has passed the expiry date, you fit a new one and change the sensor when needed.

If they get really wet when not in the boat, they inflate. I know this because I left a couple in my forward storage locker while I was giving the boat a thorough wash down. I wondered what the hissing noise was! ? They were still useable - I just had to replace the gas cylinder and the sensor and trigger clip thingy (I like technical words like that! ?). When it’s time to change cylinders etc., before you do, it’s worth testing the jacket by jumping off a jetty to see how it activates. Gives you more confidence knowing they work.

incidentally, if you’re worried about them going off in the rain, heavy sea spray etc., you can buy auto jackets designed for ocean yacht racers (who get wet all the time) - they are designed to go off when you are immersed in the water.

Thanks for clearing up the details Baz. So much the same as the manually operated PFDs, except you have to replace the automatic firing mechanism and gas cylinder. bn