Gold coast to Sydney winter fishing

pete76

So my mate bought a boat on the GC and we're bringing it back to Sydney monday to Thursday next week.

Hoping to do some fishing along the way, and having never fished the areas along the way, can any one advise if we should troll along the way, or chase any particular species in any particular locations? Any marlin/mackerel etc around this time of year? or should we just chase snapper etc?

Any advice for fishos along the coast would be much appreciated.

thanks

pete

Are you bringing the boat by sea or trailering ? If by sea, personally I would be staying out wider pulling lures for either yellowfin or bluefin ( they are there now ). If you are searching for harbours or inshore protection at night then any inshore reef should have a few snapper and possibly pearl perch etc, plastics would be my choice over bait. 

If trailering and just looking for launch sites along the way, well then simply google for ramps and head put to the local reefs for the same species.

If you target bigger offshore species will you have the gear ( rod reel outfits and gaffs etc ) as well as ice to look after any catch? 

Hopefully the new rig has a decent gps with charts, making finding reef or offshore seamounts and contours pretty simple. Just like any fishing you need to search to find fish, traveling with the sounder on you should cover areas many haven't looked at before.

thanks Jon, we're cruising(Riv 4000) it down and he's got all the game gear on board as well.

just didn't want to go trolling wide for nothing, but if you think theres a chance we'll have a go for sure

cheers