A day in the Bay (Shoal Bay)

jeffb5.8

Headed up to Shoal Bay for school holiday fun, arrived Sunday and with the wind the kids were not keen to head out in the boat, so we fished from the wharf for a small squid.

On Wednesday the wind was gone and the bay was like glass and the sun made it feel warmer than the 18deg predicted.

we went out from Shoal Bay about 9.30am (Headlights on low beam) ? the Dolphins in the bay were having a great time in the bow wave of our boat and in the wake at the back much to the kids and wife’s delight. No matter where we went they followed and jumped around.

cruised up the river to Hawks Nest and tried a bit of fishing while having a early lunch for zilch.

the did a full speed run down to Soldiers point and watched more dolphins herding bait fish. Need to see if recent issues have been fixed, so far so good.

My daughter managed a small Sole / Flounder and that was the only bite we had all day.

we then toured about a bit more before heading back to the Shoal bay ramp and home to wash the boat and down to the country club for a beer and dinner.

I drove back for work today and the kids and wife went whale watching, 

Hope to get out in syd Harbour this weekend.

Edited by jeffb5.8
  • Like 4

Hi Jeff, just like Berleyguts report...very ordinary fishing. Still a good read because one can feel your enjoyment at just being able to do it, and have a beer and dinner at the club afterwards. Good day, bad day...what the heck, that's fishing. It makes us all appreciate the little things in life. Cheers, bn

I made the comment to my wife that the boat was the only place our 3 kids (12yr, 10.5yr and 6.5yr) don’t have IPods or game consoles stuck to their hands and even though they only have 5m x 2.1m to roam are not fighting with each other.

Nothing better than floating around with the family and friends outdoors, watching the scenery, sail boats and the odd fishing rod out the back,

makes me glad the wife talked me into the bowrider.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Sounds like a very scenic trip Jeff. I agree, no iPads etc on my boat either!! 

Cheers scratchie!!!  

Wife just sent a picture of Nelson Bay, total opposite of Wednesday which was glass like and today choppy and windy as.

Rancho Relaxo Soldiers Point.jpeg

Soldiers Point Flounder 18th July 18.jpeg

Nelson Bay 20th July 18.jpeg