Sydney Harbour Fishing

trigunner54

Managed to have a day free for a fish on Friday and decided to catch a train to Macquarie Chair in the late mornings. Was using a stem float with small long shank hooks and peeled prawns to target leatherjackets (what i normally get at Macquarie Chair). Wind was pretty crappy as forecast said it would be around 35km/hr , made fishing pretty difficult with the float bouncing around the whole time. 

2hours of fishing with heaps of soaked bread as berley and only fish caught was a wrasse ? didn't seem like i was going to bring any fish home as normally after berleying, you would be able to see large leatherjackets just a metre away from the wall. I Decided to take a walk to the opposite side to see if the water seemed calmer and to my luck, it did and was a lot calmer. Spot now was near the walkway and on small rock ledges.

First cast in the new spot, and first cast in after berleying, a brown wrasse almost instantly. Fish was released and float goes in again. this time, float goes down almost instantly and line starts peeling off as i hooked on a large fish on 6 pound line. Couldn't really see what fish it was, only saw the float moving side to side as the fish kept running for 2minutes straight, stopping occasionally to turn. Finally it gave in and got it up the rock soon after. Measured at 40cm, a silver trevally on light gear is always very fun!! the fun didn't stop there as after a few more brown wrasses, I caught a 30cm+ luderick on the peeled prawn and soon after the leatherjackets came in. Only caught 3 despite the size 8 long shank hook as they either bit the hook off or somehow stole the bait. 

All in all, a great day and came home with some fish for once, after some donuts trying to catch luderick with green weed previously. Also found the biggest parasite i've ever seen inside one of the leatherjackets, was full of eggs and after opening the trevally's stomach, it was filled with prawn heads (from peeled prawns) and a small mullet. 

Macquaire Chair.jpg

water parasite.jpg

Edited by trigunner54
  • Like 3

Nice feed there well done. Great to see the jackets and Luderick are still there. One of my first Luderick areas when I was a young bloke. As a matter of interest the different spots were called "the reef" -out front, then as you go into the bay on eastern side "bung rock" the rock in the water, "the shoe" horseshoe shaped rock, then the really long one was "floaties" which used to be the best 'jacket spot at the southern end of the rock

7 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Nice feed there well done. Great to see the jackets and Luderick are still there. One of my first Luderick areas when I was a young bloke. As a matter of interest the different spots were called "the reef" -out front, then as you go into the bay on eastern side "bung rock" the rock in the water, "the shoe" horseshoe shaped rock, then the really long one was "floaties" which used to be the best 'jacket spot at the southern end of the rock

thanks, there is alot of black type of soft weed algae on the rocks, not sure if the luderick their will eat that. there's also some green hair algae on the rocks but its really coarse. 

Not sure which rock i was on haha, but it went out nice and deep after just a few metres.