Fishing in Croatia

steeevooo

Heya folks!

Have any of you fished the Adriatic Sea along the coast of Croatia?

Heading there soon for a week on a yacht with a group of friends :)

Planning to take a few rods with us, but have not much clue of what to expect. 

Anyone have any ideas on what sort of lures may be the go in that part of the world?

Any tips in general?

We plan to hit up a tackle store when we fly in to grab some lures locally, but always good to have an idea of what to go for :)

Hi Stevoo, 

Enjoy Croatia, it is a beautiful place!

Just be prepared to set your bar low in terms of fishing. You need to remember that the Mediterranean has been colonised and fished intensively for much longer than OZ so dont expect any wild country type action. Coupled with no minimum size and bag limits and you can kinda see where im heading here... 

Squidding will be very hard as it is a seasonal thing there (catch heaps in winter and barely any in summer). Most locals fish with nets as you are permitted to have nets of a certain type, length and depth as well as mesh size. Line fishing by locals will almost always be with bait so i guess throwing lures around could work as fish would not have seen many of them. 

If you are living on a yacht i would get some hard bodies and troll as you yacht away, i remember catching fish like this with my father in my youth but strikes will be few and far between. If you are staying on the yacht then i wold guess that you will anchor up in a bay for dinner. Ask the captain if you can use the dinner scraps to burley up, grab some really light line (2 kg max), a small hook (size 8-10) and small pieces of bait (fish or bread dough) and have a go catching Oblada melanura (they are called 'Usata") , you can get a decent bite going well into the night, its a nice way to spend the warm evening in summer, they wont be big but they do put up an ok fight in very light line and they are quite tasty!

As a bonus, you may even burley up something bigger that would make you reel scream on 2kg line.

Good luck and have fun! 

PS: Which part of Croatia will you be sailing through?

• Like 1

I have sailed through parts of Croatia.

It is amazingly clear waters and beautiful old towns.

Unfortunately, the Mediterranean has been extensively fished out and there is really little around.

Even the fish they showcase at restaurants are a very poor second to Australian equivalent.

Also don't expect any Tackleworld or similar type shops stocking the latest Shimano gear, it is more likely a local shop with a few rods and sods.

Hope that doesnt dishearten you, as Croatia is really amazing, just not the fishing.

Hey guys, thanks for the info!

Not a surprise that I wasn't finding much online about fishing in the Adriatic Sea then hey!

Good thing the fishing will just be an added bonus, I'm heading over for a holiday and a week aboard a yacht with some friends. 

We'll take a few small rods with us, like 2-5kg gear with 15lb line and see what happens :)
Might pack a 4 or 6lb option too going off SquidMark's advice.

Trolling hardbodies is a great idea, we'll be spending a lot of time cruising from one spot to the next anyway!

As for a local tackle store, it's more just to buy some local lures, we'll take everything else with us. 

hi steeevo

Take some jigs. The Med still holds fish.Shorejigging is very popular and successful there.

spent a year in Greece shorejigging.plenty of stuff on YouTube  for both countries.very similar waters Amberjack.,tuna barracouta

drop a jig off your yacht near the shoreline 

goodluck

Cossie

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2018 at 10:51 PM, cossie said:

hi steeevo

Take some jigs. The Med still holds fish.Shorejigging is very popular and successful there.

spent a year in Greece shorejigging.plenty of stuff on YouTube  for both countries.very similar waters Amberjack.,tuna barracouta

drop a jig off your yacht near the shoreline 

goodluck

Cossie

Legend, thanks Cossie!

Any suggestions for what kind of jigs to take?

I'll buy some here before I head over :)

Depending on what line class your using mate.

Plenty of jigs in tackle stores. 40 - 80 grams. I was running 30 lb braid with heavier leader

fishing depths 100m plus from the shore

Good luck

cossie