Salmon on light gear

JonD

Nothing to exciting, had the urge to catch a few salmon, was going to take a little flick stick with 10lb braid but after picking up the rod decided to go even lighter and take a 1-3kg bream rod with 6lb line.

The lighter meant I could drop down to 20g lures but still have quite a good cast distance. Drove 5mins up the road stepped onto the beach and was into my first fish first cast, followed by several more all in the small 1kg size bracket.

Decided to move on to the next promising looking spot about 100m further up the beach. Once again it was fish after fish, all great fun and certainly no push over on the light gear but still on the small size. 

The next spot, a favorate of mine was about 1km further up the beach. The walk barefooted in the incredibly soft sand gave me quite a workout, the cold was also starting to get to my feet now the sun had dropped behind the headland creating a shadow along the beach. Once again first cast into promising looking water loaded up solid, these were a bit better. Ripping off line and using the surf to their advantage the 6lb gear was simply the best fun. Still not big but at least they were hitting the 2kg size, the fish were solid one after another, lost count around 30 before heading back towards the car, couldn't resist a couple more casts back at the car which once again hooked up instantly.

Took three newbies back up there today, forgot just how hard it is trying to show people how to cast and use gear. A few tangles and cracked off lures but they still caught and released around 20+ salmon and 1 tailor ( didn't let them use The 6lb gear )

Just polished of a delicious fish bake from a few fillets from yesterday, today's fish were released. 

_DSC3148.jpg.72c7084cbaba697a3f73c08fa34992ea.jpg

_DSC3160_1.jpg.954bf3ec5ff1793a58450a127f5d28a5.jpg

_DSC3153.jpg.18441361a760b211be576e4036a2f31a.jpg

• Like 8

Great work there Jon, Sambos go hard on any gear. Sambos on light landlines make for some excitement.

The smaller ones (around 1kg) are reasonable eating if nothing else is biting, and can be cooked in a number of ways. Not like Tassie Salmon, but still quite edible.

41 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Great work there Jon, Sambos go hard on any gear. Sambos on light landlines make for some excitement.

The smaller ones (around 1kg) are reasonable eating if nothing else is biting, and can be cooked in a number of ways. Not like Tassie Salmon, but still quite edible.

I certainly don't mind bled smaller salmon, infact they have become quite trendy in restaurants here. We do fish cakes, fish bakes and also smoke them occasionally. 

They also make fantastic Jew bait, I go to the trouble of cutting my freshly caught salmon into bait sized pieces and vacuum pack them. They look like freshly caught flesh even after several months in the freezer.

• Like 2