Worst fishing lures ever

DerekD

Hi Fishraiders,

This is a topic which I hope will put a smile on your face during these winter's days when fishing is just that little bit harder.

Years ago I was in New Zealand in a Hunting and Fishing shop when I saw a fly fishing lure in the shape of a mouse and had a WTF moment. Later on I found out that sometimes mice have to swim across a body of water and become fair game to the fish below. Later on I came across a lure in the shape of a swimming duck complete with stinger hooks (which I have also seen recently in one of the fishing chains). Turns out this one was designed for pike which have been known to take the odd duckling or three.

The duck lures promotional page from the manufacturer: http://savage-gear.com/product/3d-suicide-duck/

A few years ago I came across some articles for the worst lures ever and it still makes me laugh. Follow this link:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/10-worst-fishing-lures-all-time#page-5

My personal favourite in their list is the "hover lure" which is a dragonfly lure complete with lily pad. Researching further I even found a promotional video:

I've heard the line between genius and insanity is a thin one and I wonder which side of the line the designers were and I'd love to know what other weird and funny lures there are out there which others have come across. I'd also be interested in ones which have been made as a one off by fellow recreational fishers as an attempt to try something new.

Hope this made you smile.

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Back in the day when I was a smoker I discarded my filter in the water while fishing for trout, next thing the filter disappeared , I put my next used filter on a hook and caught several nice trout using used filters.

Frank

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, frankS said:

Back in the day when I was a smoker I discarded my filter in the water while fishing for trout, next thing the filter disappeared , I put my next used filter on a hook and caught several nice trout using used filters.

Frank

Smoked trout Frank? Can't go past those "Twitchy Lures" that vibrate, have a light and appeal to the fishes DNA instincts. They are the best thing since sliced bread. They're even rechargeable. Neil

• Haha 2

Thanks for sharing Derek. Looks like lure design development in many cases is limited now to Marketing department ( or Coop department in case of  Savage Gear with all those bats, rats and other ducks) 

I was actually considering  buying MightyBites (when they were discounted from 30 something to $5 at BigW) for parts (e.g. rattling chambers) for other DIY projects.

11 hours ago, frankS said:

Frank

Now that is thinking outside the box. Very quick on the uptake Frank.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kiwicraig said:

My all time fav "bad" lures remain the ones I picked up for $5 one day.  The list of species they can supposedly catch is priceless.

Hi Kiwicraig,

Thanks for sharing that one - I was seriously impressed at that list of species that these would catch. I want some.

An interesting challenge would be to see how many species listed you could actually catch on them. The leatherjacket caught me by surprise. Do you think they got the list off the fisheries species list?

Regards,

Derek

1 hour ago, kiwicraig said:

I put these little squid things down today when drifting for flathead offshore almost as a joke.  They accounted for the two biggest of the 10 keepers I caught. Go figure.

What little squid things? I have some fake squid patterns that do really well on a paternoster rig.

13 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

What little squid things? I have some fake squid patterns that do really well on a paternoster rig.

The ones I put a photo of in the post I linked back to earlier in this thread.  I bought them because the packet cracked me  up as they claim to catch every fish you have heard of and some you haven't.  "Fathead" and "Shapper" haha.  They came pre-tied on a paternoster and yes - actually did ok.