Port Stephens- Snapping good fun!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Headed out this morning with mate and fellow raider @Woodsy1. It’s been a while since the both of us have been out. We were keen and left early. Pitch black and some fog about it took a while to get to our destination, all the while being mindful of the migrating whales. 

Got to our spot at first light and began to throw sps! Very little wind, swell and current. It took a while for the first fish but Woodsy came up tight and landed a decent 45cm snaps. Next was my turn and I’ll boated a healthy 55cm one. We moved a few spots with the drift and wind changing every time making it hard to hit the mark. We changed locations again but now the wind was up and helped a consistent drift. We drifted straight over some bait and boom! I came up tight to a thumping red that gave a good account of itself. Some manoeuvring around the boat was needed but a well netted snaps was now onboard going 75cm. I then realised that it was Woodsy’s lure I borrowed, his boat and he netted the fish for me! How rude! But what a champ he is! 

We made our way back and  hit a few other spots for one snaps at 35cm released. Then cruises back at 30 knots in sublime conditions! 

Yet another great trip and great company and I’m not talking about the whales, dolphins or scenery. Thanks Woodsy! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 5A5A925D-ABC5-4AC4-B4E2-736764A056E5.thumb.jpeg.86fc16d080e0dc98854296ab627a8269.jpegBBC4DFD1-2755-4B20-8153-FED3DC48B3E7.thumb.jpeg.b51c1b16b6ff7ffa5da35c4f86d2fd38.jpeg

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Basil D said:

seal rocks is a magic snapper ground, I was Lucky enough to make friends with the Local beach boat pros about 9 years ago and they took me out one evening, 20 fish in 2 hours 

It was a bit of a struggle today mate! But I’ve had some cracking sessions there too! Just right time, right place! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Berleyguts said:

Thanks Jeff. Reckon I’ll just try Broughton then.?

New favourite lure baz. Either a zman or gulp in camo pearl! Natural colours seemed to work best today! Water was good at Broughton. Cold but not too clear! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

New favourite lure baz. Either a zman or gulp in camo pearl! Natural colours seemed to work best today! Water was good at Broughton. Cold but not too clear! 

Thanks Jeff. I’m rigged with a whitish/pearl Squidgie st the moment.

16 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

looks like a cracker of a day, the fish being a bonus :biggrinthumb:

Exactly!!! Never get sick of whales breaching, dolphins riding the bow wave or just hanging with a mate on the water! 

14 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Great fish and great report

I bet you would have been happy with that "string puller" to get the heart racing

Cheers Sam! It had me worried a few times. Once near the prop as it ran under the boat and I could feel it grinding the jighead. Always nervous moments! Just nice to be back out there again! 

4 hours ago, JonD said:

Stop it ? I went out in the boat again today and couldn't reach bottom without getting bitten off by jackets again 

Haha, the jackets must love you Jon! Not one bycatch for me today! :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Haha, the jackets must love you Jon! Not one bycatch for me today! :) 

Very few boats are even bothering to head out here, we are all fed up of constantly handing over $$$$ to the local tackle stores. Maybe these stores are secretly breeding these things, this isn't the first season either. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

nice one jeff  I take it you fished where your mate was smashin em the other day  ????? hope to be up in two wknds might go for the run up there myself then sleep at the island again...rick

Yes mate! Only place I can find them at the moment. A lot of complaining locals can’t find them either!