Old JArvis Walker rods and Alvey Reels

jeffb5.8

Hi all

i have been given my wife’s grandfathers fishing gear and not sure what to do with it or if it’s worth spending time on it. 

Any tips on restoring the cane fishing tackle box. 

Any of the reels pictured any good, if not I was going to clean them up and mount the in a frame for the man cave maybe with a rod since they are family heirlooms.

i have 2 x Jarvis Walker “The Scarbough” fiberglass rods

1 x Jarvis Walker “The Bidge” 

2 other rods, one with the reel right at the bottom of the butt and the other looks like a bait caster rod.

here is some Pics

49CC7D62-1BD3-4E30-A237-440F716A823D.jpg

F64E7835-DC32-4CDC-9E77-DC19C5DECDC9.jpg

3CB557BA-B3E8-4490-8706-D1C4C5920CEA.jpg

F29212C0-FF11-4AD0-A16C-99F5BC7B6AF3.jpg

8699554F-0883-4605-A991-E497C2CEA299.jpg

429A97BF-B0A6-45AB-B62F-852C513B064E.jpg

The Bidge?

B18040F8-1E80-4FA7-9FC7-4834E0011742.jpg

6B43D9AF-882D-4AEB-A418-24565273ACA8.jpg

F4E49318-FC19-43E0-BFF1-73BF7CBD9827.jpg

Edited by jeffb5.8

Hi Jeffb5.8 looking at the picture of the back of the reels, top left one appears to be Alvey 45A1, then looks like Ebro 'Midget',- might be wrong though as my midget had only 1 handle, fourth one Alvey 35A1 or 375A1- these are the better ones but fairly common in the used marketplace, third one looks like a Capstan or Austiplas- about 18 months ago I sold 1 of each of these on ebay when down-sizing collection before a house move, didn't get much response(or dollars!) for them, the timber reel with the brass cross shaped frame(called a starback) would be the oldest and would clean up nicely making a worthy centerpiece for a display, other 2 look like either Steelite or Alpha in Bakelite. All of these reels are part of our fishing heritage, so keep them and make a nice display! The Jarvis Walker rods have a place in most older fishermen's hearts, as many people had them(and still have them) as their first good quality fishing rod. Plenty of guys collect them, but due to their popularity amongst fishermen, a large number were produced, many for the type of fishing endemic to the area they were named after. They are virtually unbreakable and will outlast  most of us that own them! Not sure on the pistol grip rod, but looking at the reel seat could be Slazenger, Southbend, Butterworth or even an early Daiwa(Whitehall). All the Blackfish floats would work just as well as any made today and would be nice incorporated in the display. My advice would be keep everything and go ahead with your display, keeping it an heirloom and interesting 'talking-piece' Thanks for showing us all. Cheers Waza

One of the Rods is a Jarvis Bidgee, not Bidge and I think its named after a place "The Bidgee".

BigNeil names that area occasionally.

Certainly some great memories and history you have there JeffB

Edited by Blackfish

Thanks Wazza and Blackfish for the awesome details and numbers, I guess my wife’s Grandad was a blackfish fisherman.

there is a Capstan reel as I read than on the engraving.

i thinks once I move to my new house I will clean them up enough to look good without making them look like new as I want to hold on to that used look for the display and not to lose the fact they were used by the Grandfather.

• Like 1

Going to see A framer who has done work for me before about making up two displays

one for me and one for my wife’s cousin is getting married and I thought since he likes fishing and it was his grandfather as well he also might like a few items in a display as they were very close and went fishing together.

Edited by jeffb5.8
  • Like 1