An unusual catch??

Hello Raiders, here's a post from the frozen South. I've been quietly reading other anglers reports and it appears that they are struggling with the Wintery conditions too. It WILL GET BETTER, eventually! My usual boat ramps have been unusable for months now so the boat hasn't had a run for ages. I did go out one afternoon to do a spot of Carp fishing, from the bank, lit a bonfire and managed to hook a monster of a Carp which took about an hour to take the bait, in the crystal clear, shallow water. Didn't land it as it spat the hook after several strong runs. I tried my favourite spinnerbait along some logs and ended up losing it. Had it been Summer I would have gone in to retrieve it but with the water at about 8c...bye bye lure.

So yesterday I ventured to the 5 mile (aptly named because it's 8 kms from Narrandera) and spent a lovely few hours battling the icy cold wind, whilst chucking lures and spinnerbaits around. On the way back to the ramp I took note of a deep hole in the old creek bed where there appeared to be some fish showing on the sounder. I set the lure well back from the boat and did a few laps over the 8 mtr deep hole. I kept running line out so that I knew I was fishing the bottom and got snagged. I couldn't reach the lure with my "pole retriever" so had to deploy the one which I use in the dams. After about 20 mins I felt a bit of movement and thought maybe it was a fish. I hauled it up from the depths to find my lure well tangled in an illegal lobster pot. I was happy to get my $35 lure back and get rid of the lobster pot.

Called it quits and returned home, still fishless, but much happier for being able to get out on the water again. As usual here are a few photos. Roll on Summer, bn IMG_0918rs.thumb.jpg.80dcd6327de74d8a17c4b3aa666cfd6e.jpgIMG_0914rs.thumb.jpg.709b40c1c4a72eb63d4f6f735a5b23cd.jpgIMG_0916rs.thumb.jpg.923a5f1dbbe3c9d0d0250247925d2bad.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Hello Raiders, here's a post from the frozen South. I've been quietly reading other anglers reports and it appears that they are struggling with the Wintery conditions too. It WILL GET BETTER, eventually! My usual boat ramps have been unusable for months now so the boat hasn't had a run for ages. I did go out one afternoon to do a spot of Carp fishing, from the bank, lit a bonfire and managed to hook a monster of a Carp which took about an hour to take the bait, in the crystal clear, shallow water. Didn't land it as it spat the hook after several strong runs. I tried my favourite spinnerbait along some logs and ended up losing it. Had it been Summer I would have gone in to retrieve it but with the water at about 8c...bye bye lure.

So yesterday I ventured to the 5 mile (aptly named because it's 8 kms from Narrandera) and spent a lovely few hours battling the icy cold wind, whilst chucking lures and spinnerbaits around. On the way back to the ramp I took note of a deep hole in the old creek bed where there appeared to be some fish showing on the sounder. I set the lure well back from the boat and did a few laps over the 8 mtr deep hole. I kept running line out so that I knew I was fishing the bottom and got snagged. I couldn't reach the lure with my "pole retriever" so had to deploy the one which I use in the dams. After about 20 mins I felt a bit of movement and thought maybe it was a fish. I hauled it up from the depths to find my lure well tangled in an illegal lobster pot. I was happy to get my $35 lure back and get rid of the lobster pot.

Called it quits and returned home, still fishless, but much happier for being able to get out on the water again. As usual here are a few photos. Roll on Summer, bn IMG_0918rs.thumb.jpg.80dcd6327de74d8a17c4b3aa666cfd6e.jpgIMG_0914rs.thumb.jpg.709b40c1c4a72eb63d4f6f735a5b23cd.jpgIMG_0916rs.thumb.jpg.923a5f1dbbe3c9d0d0250247925d2bad.jpg

Hi Neil,

Shame to come up fishless for the evening but like you said would have been great to get back out there!
I cant wait till its warmer also as when l have been going out I cant feel my hands!!
Thanks for sharing, hope maybe one day we can get together and go for a fish mate and you can teach me a few things buddy!

Regards,
Micheal

aka. Fishing.Hooked

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

nice work on getting rid of the trap neil...hope you are well...catch some fish so I can see what they look like...I havnt been able to get away..rick

You will do Rick. Tough going on all fishing styles at present. Soon be warm again although we need some rain desperately.  All good here mate. Take care, Neil.

• 2 months later...
53 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

When does the Lobster season open and what is the catch limit?

G'day Bessell. Haven't heard from you for quite some time. U still teaching up Windsor way? Ok lobsters are in the waters in the COLD months but due to clowns like the one who set the net, doing the wrong thing, Fisheries have imposed bans on taking any from many waters. There are some small pockets where (I think), you can take two males of a particular size, but to all intents and purposes they are a banned species.  Cheers, bn

12 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Thank you for your reply.  I am not fishing or teaching at Wisemans Ferry.  I have been transferred to Kellyville since 2016.  I have been very slack in relation to my posts and my fishing due to a number of family issues.:05:

Good to hear from you. Hope you manage to get back into wetting a line and more active on here. Cheers, bn