Reefs close to Syd Harbour

locodave

Hi All,

What are some good reefs out of Syd Heads?

I have heard of Colors and Browns, but are there other good spots? 

Looking at at spots to fish throughout the year. What species can be found there etc. I have a 6m boat and looking at doing more offshore trips now! 

Thank you!

Plenty of marks available on here if you do a search & on the net.

Haven't been to either & so no real experience but have read the colours is a snapper/morwong type of spot with occasional kings & browns is a blue eye trevalla, gemfish, pearl perch & deep fish kind of spot.

Not everyone but a lot of guys that fish browns seem to use electric reels as it like 300mtrs + 

Im with you loco new to inshore fishing, This fridayI plan to put a few recorded marks into my GPS and try them but any tips as to rigs / live baiting and target species would be great. Im going to try for livies at the artificial reef of south head then pick a reef off queenscliff and maby the wall at longie. Snapper, Flathead, Kingfish in that order are my targets.  I normally launch from roseville my boat is a 535c barcrusher if you see me come and say hello

Edited by blaxland

In addition to the listings here, download the Navionics app on your phone. It’s amazing what marks you can find just by dragging your fingers around on the screen. ?

Although, it pays to use them as a guide and then explore with your sounder for yourself. There are at least 3 marks for The 21 off Port Stephens and I’m sure the mark for the Gunsight reef is way off.

Edited by Berleyguts

5 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Here are some images that might you boys get your bearings....try your luck

South head.png

I used to have these colour maps when I used to scuba dive in the 90s. 

Where do I buy them from? I completely forgot about them and there is more chance I had thrown them away two decades ago than not. 

2 minutes ago, Amatteroflight said:

I used to have these colour maps when I used to scuba dive in the 90s. 

Where do I buy them from? I completely forgot about them and there is more chance I had thrown them away two decades ago than not. 

Unfortunately you cannot purchase them anymore ?. I was lucky enough to borrow some from another Raider on this site and made copies.

3 hours ago, blaxland said:

Im with you loco new to inshore fishing, This fridayI plan to put a few recorded marks into my GPS and try them but any tips as to rigs / live baiting and target species would be great. Im going to try for livies at the artificial reef of south head then pick a reef off queenscliff and maby the wall at longie. Snapper, Flathead, Kingfish in that order are my targets.  I normally launch from roseville my boat is a 535c barcrusher if you see me come and say hello

You can get snapper and the occasional Kingfish on the eastern side of Manly reef which is shown in the image attached as location A. Be careful as when the swell is up the occasional rogue wave comes ripping over the reef. I drift a couple of hundred meters away for 5-10 minutes before coming up and drifting/anchoring over the reef.

You can get also get snapper,flathead and other reefies at locations B, C & D.

I have added 47.00 latitude line which is hand drawn on for reference. The other gridlines are 1000mm intervals

QUEENSCLIFF UP CLOSE.png

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, locodave said:

Yea I know the pages that have the co ordinates, its just that without punching the co ordinates you don't have an idea how far it is. I was hoping to find a map with just some pins.

Hmmm... am I the only one who sits out in their boat punching coordinates into the GPS to pin spots and work out how far they are?! ??

Actually, you can sit inside and do this on your phone with Navionics and calculate the distance between 2 points. ?

I guess after a while, too, when you see a line of longitude, you know how far out it is.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, locodave said:

Yea I know the pages that have the co ordinates, its just that without punching the co ordinates you don't have an idea how far it is. I was hoping to find a map with just some pins.

Found this one the other week, click on display fishing spot marks.

It opens up in google earth, I had GE already installed so if it doesn't open then download GE then repeat.

http://nswwrecks.info/Shipwreck Database.html

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, locodave said:

Hey bud. If you reread my msg ul notice that the chart gridlines are at 1000m intervals. So you should be able to measure distance reasonably accurately.

In my experience fishing off Sydney the most productive spots are those found by research and trial n error. So many times id be the only boat fishing an area with no one in sight but coming home with a nice mixed bag.

My assumption is.....those spots are productive because they rarely get fished as opposed to the "publicy available" spots which always have big numbers of boats fishing over them.

My advice, study the plans, write down the coordinates of a few spots before your trip (measure if necessary) and then try them on the day. 

Over time, you will create your own library of marks that you understand well in terms of when to fish them, what bait/rigs to use etc.

On 7/26/2018 at 9:53 AM, fragmeister said:

Thanks for sharing the colour maps.

It is pretty clear that sand is yellow and reef or rocks is dark brown - what are the other colours?  Mud, broken reef?

Cheers

Jim

The darker yellows (oranges) are different densities of sand and or sand with shell.

The white/grey is mud+shell