Keeping cabbage weed fresh overnight

Hunkgarian

Hi fellow fishos

Not having the luxury of living close to water like in my younger days, I was thinking of picking some cabbage weed to go luderick fishing with my younger daughter in the harbour on Saturday morning. Do you reckon if I pick some on Friday morning and keep it in saltwater it would still be good enough for the next morning? I would rather not go to pick weed then fish, as I am in the eastern suburbs on Friday so would take advantage of the location proximity. 

Thanks for any tips. 

Hi,

Overnight Like Ozzybass sauys shoud be fine. Just keep it in a cool place and don't compress the bait, plenty of air in there.

You can keep it in the firdge for longer periods and I've even used it after freezing. Just be sure to leave plenty of air in the package.

KB

2 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

Hi,

Overnight Like Ozzybass sauys shoud be fine. Just keep it in a cool place and don't compress the bait, plenty of air in there.

You can keep it in the firdge for longer periods and I've even used it after freezing. Just be sure to leave plenty of air in the package.

KB

I have done this and it keeps fine 

Not sure about others but ive tried cabbage in the crookhaven river and the blackfish dont want a bar of it, while they will happily take green weed. I'm convinced like tuna they get fixated on one thing and wont even consider anything else

Cabbage usually has copepods living in it, these are the tiny shrimp like bugs that love to live in it. If you want to keep it for any length of time, make sure you wash all of the bugs out, they die and cause it to stink otherwise. When fresh try to keep the bugs in it, I think the blackfish prefer it with lots of bugs :)

Matt

I think better idea is to keep it fresh and growing in sea water.

I’ve had some living in buckets of seawater in my backyard for about a month. I top up the seawater ocassionally. It grows well and still catches the fish.

years ago I had a saltwater aquarium with a big rabbit fish in it. It loved the weed. I used to pick it and put it in soft drink bottles full of sea water, seal them up and place on balcony. Would live for months.

Not so easy in summer heat.

Guest Guest123456789

In a cool spot outside in the shade wrapped in newspaper it will keep for 4+ days. Just make sure you don’t harvest the slimy weed. String weed actually works better after drying out a bit. Cabbage ive always caught fresh, if there’s not a supply of cabbage in the spot you’re fishing then I prefer strong weed (usually inside the harbour or bay). Cabbage works better for me ocean facing rock platforms

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo