Chasing Kings (Help) - North Sydney

Fishing.Hooked

Hey Guys,

I'm based out of neutral bay and have been really wanting to chase some Kings. (LANDBASED)
I have tried Pillies and a few other bait but realised where l have been going there is a fair few Yakkas.

I wanted to know if anyone had ANY great advice on what is the best Rigs / Bait setup to chase them. eg - how to hook a Yakka correctly and what method to use to maximise the length of there life in the water swimming around :P

I really want to land a few good ones before l move on to targeting my next fish.

Any advice is greatly appreciated - If you would like to get together and chase a few Kings with me please do so l would love the company!

Edited by Fishing.Hooked
added - location / landbase

Are you wanting to fish in the harbour or are you comfortable fishing the ocean rocks? Personaly ive caught bugger all kings landbased at this time of the year, would get most of mine between Dec and May- rats early , bigger ones towards the end- anyway will await your answer

@PaddyT 

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

Are you wanting to fish in the harbour or are you comfortable fishing the ocean rocks? Personaly ive caught bugger all kings landbased at this time of the year, would get most of mine between Dec and May- rats early , bigger ones towards the end- anyway will await your answer

Hey Mate, 

After speaking to a few people they have told me the same thing, I'm looking for fish that's a rather good battle and loves a live bait (Yakka) - recommended any ?

Hey buddy

This time of year kings are quite scarce. Your better off targeting salmon and tailor which are the winter species.

How you rig up depends on where you are fishing but a reliable method is to have the live yakka out under a float with sliding depth rig. This method really will put you in with a chance for kings salmon and tailor.

To catch yakkas its very easy...berley hard at any wharf in Sydney very early, preferably before sunrise. Drop a sabiki rig or unweighted hooks size 10 or 8 and u should have a few in no time

2 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Hey buddy

This time of year kings are quite scarce. Your better off targeting salmon and tailor which are the winter species.

How you rig up depends on where you are fishing but a reliable method is to have the live yakka out under a float with sliding depth rig. This method really will put you in with a chance for kings salmon and tailor.

To catch yakkas its very easy...berley hard at any wharf in Sydney very early, preferably before sunrise. Drop a sabiki rig or unweighted hooks size 10 or 8 and u should have a few in no time

Hey Mate,

Yeah last night l got 3 Yakkas in 5 Mins! like you said sabiki rig right next to the wharf!!

I will def try the rig you mentioned! I will like to chase some tailor if that's the case as l got a salmon the other night, want to expand my list haha

Thanks a lot mate!

Hi Micheal.

Work on catching squid and try put big baits out for Mulloway (Jewfish - apparently jew is short for jewel which you can find in the skull behind the eyes).

Regards

Derek

• Thanks 1

If you want a fish that pulls like a freight train in winter then- drum rolllllllll- blue groper, lots of them . nice flat sea conditions around the ocean ledges- but learn a bit about the ocean rocks first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi Micheal.

Work on catching squid and try put big baits out for Mulloway (Jewfish - apparently jew is short for jewel which you can find in the skull behind the eyes).

Regards

Derek

Thanks Again Derek! 

I will try and land a few through next week!! 

35 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

If you want a fish that pulls like a freight train in winter then- drum rolllllllll- blue groper, lots of them . nice flat sea conditions around the ocean ledges- but learn a bit about the ocean rocks first.

Sound like a awesome fish to add on to my short list hahaha
I really think l should land a few more salmon or tailor first then move on to some hard fish!! 

Thanks for your advice - If you ever go for a grooper but let me know l will PM my details always keen for a fish mate