Fish ID ?? (Numbfish)

Fishing.Hooked

Question

11 answers to this question

Yep, numbray. You're lucky you didn't touch him as you certainly know when they zap you. Surprisingly given their appearance but they will happily hit soft plastics worked across the bottom so likely he hit your lure on purpose. 

Rich

33 minutes ago, Mr Squidy said:

Yep, numbray. You're lucky you didn't touch him as you certainly know when they zap you. Surprisingly given their appearance but they will happily hit soft plastics worked across the bottom so likely he hit your lure on purpose. 

Rich

Yeah if l don't know what fish it is l will NOT touch it! Yeah I dragged the Jig across the bottom and felt the hit, but thought it was just me hitting it.

Cheers mate 

Numb ray.

Have caught a couple on lures bounced across the bottom, and many on baits siting on the bottom. Also a couple have grabbed lives that swam too close to the bottom.

Excitement at night time when prawning, moving quietly through the water so as not to create any disturbance on the surface, then you stand on one of them and jump a bit and stir up the water.

7 hours ago, Fishing.Hooked said:

Yeah I dragged the Jig across the bottom and felt the hit, but thought it was just me hitting it.

The hit you can feel is the electric shock hitting your lure or bait when the numb ray is blasting it with 200 volts. This stuns the prey, then the numb ray opens it's mouth to swallow whatever is there.

Have seen the rod tip move on a calm day from the vibrations of the 200 volts, then lifted the rod tip to find one ugly mother ** on the line.

One day I pushed a nipper pump into the sand to pump nippers, however, there was a numb ray hidden under the sand. The jolt was enough to make me drop the pump. Try it some time.    ???

• Haha 1