Friday 1st July 2018

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Felt like fish for dinner so I took a day of work and headed out early to Long Reef after collecting some lives at the Quarantine Station.

In other posts, I saw that another Raider ( Blaxland) in his Bar Crusher was heading out to Manly Reef and Long Reef so I kept an eye open for him.

I arrived at Long Reef and anchored up on the wall just on first lght and set a burley trail going.

I dropped an unweighted pilchard in the burley trail and another on a small sinker out a bit wider.

After half an hour or so I got a solid strike on the floater and pulled in a nice pan sized snapper.

After I didn't get another bite for 15 minutes and then I noticed I had been drifting and was 100 meter s away from my anchor point.

Well, the anchor was probably still in the right place but it wasn't' connected to my anchor chain!  The coupling must have come unscrewed.  Bugger!

I motored back to the mark and lowered the Minkota and set the spot lock.

When it was light enough to see I thought I could make out a Bar Crusher in the distance but I was not sure.

Anyway, after lots more burleying I had a couple of solid strikes on the weighted pilchard rig but I got reefed on a couple of good fish.. not sure what they were as there were rat kings in the burley trail but I think they may have been some better quality reds.

After the bite died down I headed off to the grounds around Manly reef to drift for some flathead only to find Blaxland there in his Bar Crusher - We had a chat and drifted for a while a few boat lengths from each other. I caught a ling on the drift but I only stayed about half an hour before heading off to the Colours off North Head.

I have a few marks in my sounder for the colours - one off North Head and one off South Head - They are both definite reef areas but I don't know why they are called the same.

At the Colours I rigged up a paternoster with one baited hook and one soft plastic. Over a 1 hour session, I caught a couple of blue spot flathead on the baited hooks, a couple of trevally on the soft plastic and few Sargent baker and foul-hooked jackets.

No fish pictures at the moment but I went out to get a feed of fresh fish so am about to indulge in.

Trevally Sushimi

Flathead in Tempura Batter

Baked Snapper

A side of chips and

A Fennel and Apple Salad.

..and oh Yes ..another beer!

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister
  • Like 6

Good to meet the fragmiester today and get some quality intel I should of followed him to the colours as Im having woolies chook for dinner lol. Apart from meting another raider the highlight for me was getting livies (slimy mackerel) on sabiki rigs just outside Southhead and at the artificial. I now know I can catch bait just have to keep trying for some quality keepers.

Cheers Bill

43 minutes ago, blaxland said:

Good to meet the fragmiester today and get some quality intel I should of followed him to the colours as Im having woolies chook for dinner lol. Apart from meting another raider the highlight for me was getting livies (slimy mackerel) on sabiki rigs just outside Southhead and at the artificial. I now know I can catch bait just have to keep trying for some quality keepers.

Cheers Bill

The Colours off North Head is a pretty good producer of reef species and flathead either side of the reef.

I just ate some flathead fillets in Tempura batter... they are so good. I think it's my new favourite dish.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, fragmeister said:

The Colours off North Head is a pretty good producer of reef species and flathead either side of the reef.

Ive always known the colours to be off South Head. Ive marked the furthest point of the reef below.

If you give me the coordinates for the "North Head" colors I can provide some further detail of the terrain.

Colours reef.png

I agree .. I have always know the South Head location to be the colours.

I heard the North Head colours location referred to in a fishing video.

In my GPS fishing Book I actually have 3 locations for The Colours but two may be the north and south end of the Northern Colours reef. Not sure but here they are.

33 49 600 151 19 450

33 50 300 151 17 238

33 50 930 151 17 650

Interestingly  Navionics show both the North and South Head locations called the Colours.

The fish Icon in the bottom right corner

1107154657_NorthHeadColours.PNG.c64974b483ad719e7f6fa2bbdbe33f12.PNG

The fish icon out from Dunbar Head

1126999233_SouthHeadColours.PNG.0d411fa1d93854cf24801e361ed3784d.PNG

The South Head Colours I have always associated with Kings and the North Head Colours I have associated with reef species including Snapper, Mowies , and the occasional Jewfish with flatties either side of the rise from 50 to 40 meters.

Cheers

Jim

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great report Jim and well done getting a feed using your much acquired years of knowledge. Did you lose the anchor? Cheers, bn

Yes Mate,

Another trip to that well known fishing and boating shop coming up.

Friday left me a bit short of line on my favourite baitrunner, snapper leads and of course a reef anchor.

Cheers

Jim

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2018 at 7:41 PM, fragmeister said:

I just ate some flathead fillets in Tempura batter... they are so good. I think it's my new favourite dish.

Cheers

Jim

I will try there this week weather permitting

7 minutes ago, blaxland said:

I will try there this week weather permitting

Thursday is looking pretty good. Low swell and light winds Low tide around dawn and high around midday.

Looking forward to the report!

Cheers

Jim

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, blaxland said:

Cheers Bill

Nice one Bill, now you can load up with lives at the artificial and head off to 12 miles for some kingies with your new boat. Heard there's some big kingies at the moment around 12 miles and the peak, not consistent however.

20 hours ago, Archillies said:

Any salmon schools fragmeister?

Didn't notice any... I was past the heads before dawn and back in from the South Head side.

So I wasn't in a position to see the normal boils you find around North Head.

Also, I was coming back in pretty much on the low tide during the early afternoon with lots of boat traffic around so I didn't spot any in the harbour either

Cheers

Jim

On 7/30/2018 at 7:24 PM, fragmeister said:

Thursday is looking pretty good. Low swell and light winds Low tide around dawn and high around midday.

Looking forward to the report!

Cheers

Jim

Yes Thursday looks good 

22 hours ago, MerryFisher said:

Nice one Bill, now you can load up with lives at the artificial and head off to 12 miles for some kingies with your new boat. Heard there's some big kingies at the moment around 12 miles and the peak, not consistent however.

I have heard the reports but Im happy to take baby steps and get the boat setup how I like it as well I hope to be out this thursday

On 7/29/2018 at 11:57 AM, Scratchie said:

Great work Jim! Your making me hungry with that haul. Oh and thirsty! Haha! Well done :) 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie,

Nothing like the reds on your posts but a red all the same.

5 hours ago, fragmeister said:

Well Bill?

Did you get out there?

Yeah went out early seemed a bit rough back inside for some calamari at obelisk conditions improved went to the colours for a few drifts one other boat there on anchor but no keepers for me still good to be out will keep trying sure my learning curve is a j

Bad luck outside Bill..

How much lead did you have on?

My experience is unless you are bouncing across the bottom you don't get fish.

Size 6 or  8 snapper lead is usually what required depending on the run.

I thought that was a no anchor area but anyway.?

Cheers

Jim