Central coast donuts, 2 trips

King chaser

Had the week off work and was keen to spend most of it on the water. 

Monday was solo launching from terrigal. It was a little ugly but got it done! Filled up the tank full of livies and headed straight out for Texas.

once out there temp was 18.3 degrees clean water. The sounder wasn’t showing anything. Found some life right on the bottom but think it was perch or nanagyi. Had lives out (high and low) and was also jigging. Few hours later, nothing. Hadn’t marked any bait or kings since getting out there so went in close.

Managed 3 snapper in 30m of water, largest 50cm. A sealed showed up which didn’t help the fishing. 

Getting the boat out of the water went a bit smoother. 

Thursday

Solo again the launch went much smother, again filled up the tank full of livies. A bit out of with the lack of show out at Texas the other day decided to stay in close. 

Fished The bull, the Bommies and foggies and all I could manage was undersized reds and a shark which all got thrown back.

Called it a day. Getting the boat out was very ugly it was very surgy at the ramp. Solo launch / retrieves are tough

back at the ramp few boys had boxes full of kings they said they got out wide. /sigh

anyways any time on the water is better than anytime at work.

looking for a buddy to help out with advice re putting some kings in the boat, send us a message if you can lend some advice. 

65F77DC3-7495-4D70-9CEB-D3DC0EB9D5F8.jpeg

Unlucky on the kings but nothing wrong with a 50cm snaps! Solo trips are always the worst at the ramp but once on the water, all is forgotten until the first view of the ramp on return! At least you got out there! :) 

cheers scratchie!!!

The Terrigal ramp is tough by yourself. PM if you ever want some company, I'm just down the road a bit. I'm going on a charter boat soon to try for some king fish, so if I figure out what to do, I'll let you know. You can look on YouTube for Ultimate Fishing channel. There is a kiwi called Matt, and he has some good tips, although I don't know if they translate to Aus conditions.

I avoid launching at Terrigal solo solely because of that surge. The kings that have been showing up at Texas and the perchys i have heard have been small lately all just legal fish. Seems to be plenty of reds around, we went south yesterday arvo and had a shocker copped a straight northerly the whole ride back.

On 7/27/2018 at 10:32 PM, GoingFishing said:

Nice report.... i wouldnt call a 50cm snapper trip a donut!! 

Hopefully next time you tangle with your target species

It did put on a nice feed with ginger and shallots + a bit of soy??

4 hours ago, antonywardle said:

The Terrigal ramp is tough by yourself. PM if you ever want some company, I'm just down the road a bit. I'm going on a charter boat soon to try for some king fish, so if I figure out what to do, I'll let you know. You can look on YouTube for Ultimate Fishing channel. There is a kiwi called Matt, and he has some good tips, although I don't know if they translate to Aus conditions.

Will do Antony cheers!

1 hour ago, tyrone07 said:

I avoid launching at Terrigal solo solely because of that surge. The kings that have been showing up at Texas and the perchys i have heard have been small lately all just legal fish. Seems to be plenty of reds around, we went south yesterday arvo and had a shocker copped a straight northerly the whole ride back.

That’s no good Tyrone, I hear that kings r thicker down south at the moment widenof Sydney/ Pittwater. Thinking of giving Texas another run in the morning, spending some time out there doing some serious sounder work and hunting for new spots. Another raider had success around the 120m mark yesterday. Cheers

Edited by King chaser
Edit

2 hours ago, King chaser said:

It did put on a nice feed with ginger and shallots + a bit of soy??

Will do Antony cheers!

That’s no good Tyrone, I hear that kings r thicker down south at the moment widenof Sydney/ Pittwater. Thinking of giving Texas another run in the morning, spending some time out there doing some serious sounder work and hunting for new spots. Another raider had success around the 120m mark yesterday. Cheers

Might wanna check the BOM mate not going to be favourable conditions at all especially wide, we had a shocker, blew the tyre coming home, luckily the spare got us home eventually. 

1 hour ago, tyrone07 said:

You end up going? Forecast was nothing like predicted as usual

Yea I did mate there is pushing it and then there is stupid! 

Kicked off the day at terrigal ramp with a slight breeze, boat went in good I got this solo launch down pat! 

Before I knew it had 20 or so yellow tail in the tank. Started to head out to Texas and it was smooth sailing till about 10 nm out. The westerly wind was hitting the southerly swell and it was just a washing machine. 

Wind picked up to at least 15 - 18 knots and before I knew it I was down to a crawl. I knew I should of turned around at the half way point but the promise of a king was to tempting, also chuck in a bit of stubborness. 

Finally got to texas and mate the swell frequency was about 5 seconds between peaks and it was about 1.5 meter swell out there and throw in that belting wind, the swell was so steep and throwing the boat all over the place. there’s keen and there is stupid and i was being stupid being out there. 

Did a sneaky lap of texas in case there was a mass ball of kings for the picking .... no joy and limped back into the ramp and out of the water.

lesson learnt re westerly wind + southerly swell. Should have fished Pittwater, I hear there’s kings hanging around Scotland island. 

14 hours ago, King chaser said:

Yea I did mate there is pushing it and then there is stupid! 

Kicked off the day at terrigal ramp with a slight breeze, boat went in good I got this solo launch down pat! 

Before I knew it had 20 or so yellow tail in the tank. Started to head out to Texas and it was smooth sailing till about 10 nm out. The westerly wind was hitting the southerly swell and it was just a washing machine. 

Wind picked up to at least 15 - 18 knots and before I knew it I was down to a crawl. I knew I should of turned around at the half way point but the promise of a king was to tempting, also chuck in a bit of stubborness. 

Finally got to texas and mate the swell frequency was about 5 seconds between peaks and it was about 1.5 meter swell out there and throw in that belting wind, the swell was so steep and throwing the boat all over the place. there’s keen and there is stupid and i was being stupid being out there. 

Did a sneaky lap of texas in case there was a mass ball of kings for the picking .... no joy and limped back into the ramp and out of the water.

lesson learnt re westerly wind + southerly swell. Should have fished Pittwater, I hear there’s kings hanging around Scotland island. 

Wow that is hard work mate, won’t be the first and won’t be the last caught out by a westerly blowing, we copped it heading to the Terrigal Fad one day, forecast was max ten knots and variable winds, once we hit 15km mark it was blowing westerly at a good 15-20 knots, blowing the top off the swell. Was not an enjoyable trip, plus was the dollies were on.