Big Broughton Snapper

garfield28

Headed out at just after 5am Friday from little beach boat ramp with Port Stephens fish'o and fishraider member Jrcjamie.

I've been talking to Jamie for a good 2 - 3 years asking for tips and advice on weather conditions, certain species of fish etc.

I spoke with Jamie on Friday afternoon and after months of planning (me hounding him) Jamie was free to take me out on his boat and show me a few tips on catching BIG snapper.

Nicknamed banana for good reason by Scratchie I wasn't real optimistic as I've brought some good fish'os undone before ? 

Jamie told me it wasn't exactly the best time for snapper, it would be more a tutorial than anything but was confident he'd put me on a couple.

Arrived at an area and sounded up some reef and bait at one of his spots near Broughton island, and after showeing me his technique and explaing a few things he said go for it!

A couple of cast later my line come up tight and Jamie said you're onto a good fish here and it went straight under the boat, it was pulling hard like nothing I'd ever experienced before, any other time I'm pretty sure I'd lose this fish but Jamie talked me through getting it boat side where he netted it after dropping it and thought he'd lost it on me ? I could have hugged and kissed the bloke, cannot explain the feeling. 

I've never had a feeling like it, this thing was huge and I'd never thought I'd ever catch such a beautiful big beast, it has been one of my dream fish ever since I started trekking out through the heads, It was by far the best ever feeling, the pure power of this thing on the end of my line was something I could not get enough of, and little did I know I'd get to experience it a few more times during the morning.

We had a great drift with plenty of bait and fish showing up on the sounder, I'm sure we'd get railed a  few more times but a boat load of spear fishos came and pulled up right in out drift and started scouting around and scared the fish off.

After a few choice words from the skipper they left but made sure they made as much noise as possible with their screaming motor and scooted off all the way up our drift line ensuring we wouldn't catch any more at that spot.

We moved from that spot and Jamie scoured around and found another spot which produced another bohemath snapper a short time later, it was a donkey also and once again had my arms stretched as it took off making my reel scream! Isn't it just the best sound in the world a screaming reel.

We both hooked up at the same time on a couple more big reds and a period of mayhem where we were both pulling in some decent reds at the same time.

A short while later I dropped another monster, as I left the bail arm open for too long and when I closed it, it just a broke me off like it was nothing. 

It was the greatest fishing day of my fishing life, catching a couple of dream snapper, I thought I never could, I cannot express the feeling and was just in a state of fishing bliss evey time I thought of these things I'd landed and the fight.... I couldn't stop looking over at the Esky and looking at a couple of huge tails hanging out of it. 

I would like to say a huge thanks, and give all the credit to Jamie. 

He made me a very very happy fisherman and I cannot thank him enough, absolute legend and very humble guy making a fishing wish come true for me.

Thanks for reading. 

IMG_20180727_175957_564.jpg

IMG_20180727_172845_518.jpg

IMG_20180727_172845_510.jpg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Great stuff B1. I was waiting for a report! A very few solid snaps indeed! What did the biggest go? 

Certainly enough for a few feeds anyway! Glad Jamie could break your drought! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Mate was gonna do it yesterday when I got home but had a shower, a beer a d woke up about 1 this morning on the lounge. 

The Mrs and the kids don't even believe I caught them. 

I text B2 just when I texted you the pic and he called and said to give Jamie his fish back.... ? 

Was on such a high to pull those things in. 

• Like 1

An excellent report Garfield 28 and full marks to Jamie for his huge contribution to the episode. How thoughtless of those divers to barge in on the drift you were working. Crass people. I think that we can all understand the "high" that you were experiencing during and after the trip. That's one of the reasons we all go fishing. Cheers, bn