What Winter fish species should I target next ? ❄️❄️

TheSillySalmon

Hey to all, first time poster and a bit of an admitted lurker around the threads on this site . 

Before I start quick shout out to everyone who posts on this site . I know you can’t do reports here so I’ll just briefly say a quick thanks to all you guys who post your advice here , caught my first oz salmon off the beach with the knowledge I gained from  here  after 3 weeks of targeting them with not a bite. Bloody cheering .

So my question is, what are some good winter targets (landbased Sydney ) for myself and my cousin to go after next. Happy to fish around the wharves / harbour (land) but really enjoy the beach fishing side of it more (not rocks - haven’t learnt to rock hop yet haha).

Cheers

Edited by TheSillySalmon

Thanks Underfisher,

That is exactly the setup I had last night when I landed my first Aussie Salmon. Absolute blast for my first legal sized fish :) 

(Btw I was fishing on rising tide / 2 hours before high tide  , can you still catch them at low tide at dusk/ night?)

Fish the movement of the tide (run out and run in) and use a standard float rig with pencil floats but make sure that it stays level in the water rather than lyibg flat on top or sinking. Also use tiny panfish hooks (they should be green depending on the brand) and pieces of sea cabbage

• Thanks 1

Drummer can be had from most rock ledges if you're so inclined. Otherwise fish piers and rock walls for Luderick. Plenty of information on rigs on the pages. Also plenty of reports just need to search

• Thanks 1

When beach fishing on the southern Central Coast then winter catches are:

kahawai (oz salmon)

tailor

silver trevally

blue-spot flathead

plus you can catch all the same fish as summer, just a lot less of them eg dart, bream, dusky flathead, whiting.

off the rocks you can target same species plus luderick and drummer.

On the sheltered side, winter (trumpeter) whiting may be available as well.

Luderick are an easy target off the public wharves here - and typically much larger fish then summer. I agree they would be a worthwhile next target for you - everyone should know how to catch blackfish.

• Thanks 1