Any Salmon action recently in Sydney ?

TheSillySalmon

Hey to all,

Understandbly I know us fishos  (don’t know if qualify as a fisho yet as I’m still a newbie ?‍♂️?‍♂️)  can be reluctant to share spots, but I’ll have a crack anyways. Anyone know any beaches around Sydney which are firing with salmon atm. ??

Caught my first one the other night and I’m hooked , but looking for a new spot.

Thanks hateanchors for the reply, 

What’s the action like  around cobblers on the low tide for your Pelagics like salmon. (Due to upcoming work constraints might only be able to fish it at night when there happens to be a low tide ) :(

Edited by TheSillySalmon

like has been said cenny coast beaches are fishing well. Wamberal or north entrance are great

as for sydney i dont know but pick a beach with some surf and a gutter and your in for a crack

cheers

Edited by ARC H
  • Thanks 1

I was doing good on the kahawai (Aus salmon) on Macmasters Beach on the southern end of the Central Coast until about 10 days ago, nothing since in maybe 3 or 4 trips.

I have to say - asking where the kahawai (salmon) are is a natural way to approach fishing, but it’s not necessarily the best way to find them. The majority of the winter kahawai are migratory, and like most migratory animals they travel in waves. A wave is likely to be around a beach for a few days, to maybe a week or two. 

Also, at this time of year they’re mostly hunting either sandy sprats or Ogilvys hardyheads off the beaches, which behave much the same, further reinforcing their transience.

That’s why, when someone tells you where the kahawai are, and you follow it up, by the time you get there they have most likely moved on. You end up being told ‘you should have been here yesterday’ - how often have you heard that.

So you are going to catch kahawai where you find them. Find a good beach, hit it in the evening every few days, sooner or later they will turn up.

FWIW, I was finding most of my kahawai were taken on surf poppers with a half pilchard on the lower dropper. Probably 2 fish on the popper for every one on the pilchard. Not always like that, but worth considering.

Also, a sort of a silver lining, once the kahawai moved on the tailor moved in. Smaller, but more edible.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marmot said:

Last Saturday I went to Garie beach, nothing... Of course it's pretty normal for me as a beginner.

I’ve heard some really good things about Garie , when it’s firing it’s meant to be a great spot 

2 minutes ago, TheSillySalmon said:

I’ve heard some really good things about Garie , when it’s firing it’s meant to be a great spot 

You might not  but if you need any tips on your setup / rigs just ask, even though I’m a beginner fisho myself I have happened to bag myself at least 1 Aussie salmon so far so I  think I’m doing something right hahahah ?

5 minutes ago, Fishing.Hooked said:

Caught a 60cm Aus Salmon last week - See my fishing report for all the details man!

If you wanna go out and try land a few together let me know !!

I'm based in Neutral Bay 

Hey Fishing.Hooked 

Cheers for the update ,

Ill definitely let you know if I’m heading out your way  for some Ozzie sambos  ?????