How safe is it to burley off a main beach ?

TheSillySalmon

Hey to all, ??

This is just a quick question regarding safety; not for myself but for swimmers and surfers on the beaches I fish on. ???

So the question is , what are my fellow fishos advice on burleying on busy beaches ? Is it a no go? ???? Or is it OK as long as you’re not doing it during a time when it’s busy with swimmers and surfers ?

Obviously not when swimmers are around but at beaches that are known for sharks burleying up too hard will often end up in many many sharks and less of your target, unless your target is a shark, in which case well done. Find a beach without too much human activity (ever) and you should be good to go

• Thanks 1

We swim with burley to attract fish , it's pretty rare for sharks to approach us but it does happen. If we give up the burley the sharks soon loose all interest in us, it's very different however the further north we head (QLD).

When I used to target jews around Narrabeen I would start introducing a little burley right on dark as the last surfers left the water. This was often left over yellowtail from the previous trip.

Personaly I very much doubt any shark would find a block of munched pilchards within casting distance of the shore before the small pickers cleaned it all up. Not that I'm recommending it.

Edited by JonD
  • Thanks 1