bergo

Stripeys etc

Hey everyone. I’m thinking of poking my head out this summer. Looking to possibly go anywhere between 3-5km off Sydney heads. I’m thinking of trolling some divers and skirts. My question is, is it worth it or should I stick to inshore.

cheers ?

What are you aiming to catch?

To be honest. I’d be more then happy with a few stripeys or even dollies would be awesome. I know a marlin is wishful thinking but I personally have known of a few small marlin being caught right in close.

If I had a boat that could get me out there I definitely would.

I haven't fished there but the colours & Nods are in your reach & even trolling along the north or south head could produce anything from Bonnies to Kingfish.

Don't know if your going to see Dollies or Marlin that close in, more like the Fads or the Peak etc.

Edited by kingie chaser

No worries at all. Anyway I guess it worth running out and having a go.

The back wash off the rocks is your friend, bonnies, tailor, salmon and kings are all fair game. I've always found blue and white, red and white, 2-4 inch lures do the job in these areas and on the light gear you can have heaps of fun.

1 hour ago, bergo said:

Hey everyone. I’m thinking of poking my head out this summer. Looking to possibly go anywhere between 3-5km off Sydney heads. I’m thinking of trolling some divers and skirts. My question is, is it worth it or should I stick to inshore.

cheers ?

What boat do you have?

4m stacer tinny.

i have been out to the artificial reef comfortably a few times. So should be sweet

Ok, unfortunatley striped tuna are a bit thin on the ground these days (the purse seiners of PNG and the Sth Pacific whack them before they get the chance to move) so they are mainly bycatch these days. Dollies are a proposition Jan- April a bit wider off the coast, the close FAD's of Sydney will only hold very small (read undersized) fish 99% of the time- and cause they are hit hard they tend to be pretty shy fish. Starting out you should be aiming for a bit of a mixed bag, bonnies, rat kings , tailot, salmon- trolling lures is a great way to go at first. A couple of Rapala CD9's or Halco Laser pros in the 12cm size are great starting lures. Dont mix your minnows with skirts-you wont get the best out of the lures . If you want to run a couple of skirts then Pakula Uzis are a great starting point. MAke sure to run a red head CD9 or LAser Pro- will outfish every other lure 90% of the time. The washes of both heads at Sydney are great as is Baranjoey, Whale BEach (both ends), just stay clear of the rockfishos - should be a few salmon around now, bonnies should turn up in November

I've trolled past tailing marlin so close to shore you could throw a rock at them.

You can also troll small skirts about 10 to 15cm long, in any colour as long as it's pink, at 5 to 6 knots (9 to 10 km an hour). Run as many as you like but at different distances so you don't tangle. When you get a hit keep trolling and you can often get multiple strikes.

Mostly bonito and stripies but salmon, tailor and kings can jump on too.  I've done this off SWR an Coffs and a few times it's resulted in huge runs and very cranky mackerel or longtail!

Cheers

Rob

If your keen on stripeys I troll skirted lures (mostly pink) 3 to 5 inches long at 6 to 9 knots.  You can get them in close but I find that 80+ meters is best.  They are about all year out wide but I  find they usually start inshore around October or November. 

If traveling outside I almost always put a couple of lures out as you never know your luck.  Ron