A first for everything...

Kracka

After a donut trip on the blackies in the harbour I decided to give my trusty standby spot at long reef a go for pigs and blackies. Donut on those too... despite using red cooked prawn, cungie, weed and bread. Nothing tempted them so was scratching my head a little. Probably the westerlies being the culprit?? 

Anyway... Nothing but dozens of wrasse...UNTIL... Bam! The rod buckles over and the drag starts peeling off my alvey as I loaded up the fishes weight. Figured woohoo I'm gonna have myself a nice tussle with a big silver drummer as it was fighting pretty clean. Started sweating too as I only had 12lb line on. After a solid 5-10mins I lost count of how many runs this fish took I got it up to the surface to reveal my first ever winter rat kingie (scraping in at 67cm - made some fine sashami and ceviche). Lucky for a few helpful ISO fishermen close-by with their long landing nets helped me land the fish. Gave them a dozen leftover cungie as thanks when I called it quits not long after.

Caught this little fella on a peeled prawn about 1m from the ledge. Who knew. Will probably target kings more often now. I'm hooked! (pun intended).

It made up for the donut tripS on the blackies and drummer.

IMG20180730094939.jpg

• Like 10

A great story  (nice pic too).

I remember a couple of years ago fishing for pigs off a south coast ledge and getting a few average sized ones then I hooked up to something else in the wash - a totally different fight, and up comes a nice snapper of around 40cm!

Always fun when something unexpected lands on the line and this was obviously a real challenge on 12lb line and an Alvey!! You'll b telling this story for years.

• Thanks 1