hit and miss couple of weeks

This winter has been a major hit and miss affair, with multiple doughnut sessions for not even a looker.

One session that produced was a 15 minute pre work under bridge lights that involved 2 dropped bream, pulled hooks on a small jack and finally a drought breaking flathead about low 50's

20180724_210816.thumb.jpg.24f58e0e32e839efdc9b4c8402643e0d.jpg

Another session that atleast produced was fishing the boatramp at Port Macquarie with the better half teaching her how to use soft plastics we both managed a silver trev

20180721_121436.thumb.jpg.38d01247db9e6d0c56f5a84a27689d0f.jpg

not monsters but fish atleast

yesterday I hit coffs marina loaded with anticipation and of course nothing not even a follow, stopped at my beloved highway tree on the way home last time I was here a submarine took a 79mm jackall squirrel fortunetly pulled the hooks before burying me and to my amazement the likely culprit was cruising the edge harrasssing mullet a approx 60cm juvenile queensland grouper absolutely magnificant fish, being protected I left him be and with 8lb gear would have been irresponsible

the trevs were absent, but seeing a nice cormorant crap oil slick put a cast on it and straight on 

20180730_123459.thumb.jpg.e78932dcf501e5472f45ce6a4bdbee1c.jpg

A nice high 20's bream loads of mates followed him out 

thining they're all spooked put a cast hard up against the log letting the plastic sink beside it and it was annihilated the fish ran me straight up into the timber and by some grace I got him back out

20180730_123803.thumb.jpg.7f74114f906884e1891fc1d68626424c.jpg

a solid 33cm bream lot overly long but in solid condition

again the cormorants lift their tails and a well placed cast and more bream 

20180730_124151.thumb.jpg.574d27d6acfedbec3d9d28beb0f09105.jpg

20180730_124551.thumb.jpg.e9a55005b9814fa3288ad000b8daecb4.jpg

all the fish were atleast high 20's

all the fish were caught on zman grubz 2.5" they're just not into the hardbodies at the moment 

as always looking forward to spring 

cheers for reading 

Dave   

• Like 2

Good report Dave. Persistence pays rewards eh? Love the photos too. You certainly travel about in pursuit of some fish Dave. Dead slow down here...not really worth bothering in the cold, blustery conditions. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hill373737 said:

Good to see you getting a few Dave - is that a Bubblegum GrubZ ... Greasy Prawn is my go-to for bream but always interested in seeing what others have success with?

3 hours ago, Regan said:

great report and pics dave 

the bubble gum grubs look like your go to lure now?

loving the grubz at the moment can work them really slow and subtle for the winter fish ..... that bubblegum tail was the same one for all those fish it has since gone to a snag .... might chuck on a motor oil next to mix it up

• Like 1

8 hours ago, undy said:

Any particular reason why they aren't they hitting the hardbodies Dave?

My theory is with the cold water the plastics are generally a slower more subtle presentation that presents an easier feed....... in general bream are the most fickle frustrating soul destroying target because they just decide to eat or not eat a lure for no apparent reason.... about 5 weeks ago they would only take a white grub style plastic and only white didn't matter up river or down even oyster racks no reasoning for it.... that's what i love about bream spinning there's never a sure thing lure

• Like 2