Snapper....at the top or the bottom

GoingFishing

Hi All 

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on this.

Been looking at some charts to find some likely snapper spots wide of Sydney to trial this weekend.

There are some nice ledges which drop 15 to 20m, so the question is am i better off targeting the highest point or the bottom of the drop off for snapper? I assume the bottom is where the broken /gravel is.

I have found the pinnacles to be plagues by jackets and other garbage in the past? 

Edited by GoingFishing

54 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

two choices   sit in front and fish back to rise  or sit on top and fish back to drop ....reds like to sit in lee of current either where it goes up over reef or pushes off the reef taking food with it...rick

Spot on rick! And to add, they venture the entire water column. They are not just a bottom dwelling fish! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Thanks 1

I have my friday night set out for me Jeff ...iv purchased navionics so now marking likely snapper/other spots id like to try....to be cross referenced against the seabed charts i have scanned in high res to confirm seabed material/adjacent reef etc.....

Trial and error !!! We rarely get good fish handed to us on a silver platter.

• Like 1

Guest Guest123456789
9 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

two choices   sit in front and fish back to rise  or sit on top and fish back to drop ....reds like to sit in lee of current either where it goes up over reef or pushes off the reef taking food with it...rick

You mean like the blue fish or the red fish on the picture below?

3D9EAE35-35BF-4522-B5FF-68C59C2E3EB5.png

Correct me if I am wrong boys but I think they mean more like this.

fish.thumb.png.38883dae483032bf7bfd3e5550768a8b.png

This is all dependent on current flow... last week at Long Reef I was fishing from on top of the reef because the current flow and wind was in that direction. But it was sort of at an angle across the reef into the deeper water.

This meant that when I hooked up my bait was in the deeper water but across the reef so I got reefed on a few good fish that I had painstakingly burleyed up over a few hours.

25 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Hahaha!.

I was actually reflecting as to why im the only one who depicted fishing in flat seas........i must be daydreaming.......it is FRIDAY arvo

Obviously you are a  "glass half full" kinda guy

• Haha 1

All good info for me thanks raiders will need to get a reef pick and tie on some rope my boat came with 50m . The guy I was fishing near thursday had had his anchor deployed off the starboard rail midship is this the way to go?

23 hours ago, blaxland said:

All good info for me thanks raiders will need to get a reef pick and tie on some rope my boat came with 50m . The guy I was fishing near thursday had had his anchor deployed off the starboard rail midship is this the way to go?

That would allow you to sit side on to the current, which can help if you’re fishing a number of lines or with multiple anglers. Edit: but as Rick says, it is dangerous to tie off on a side rail, tie off at the bow and use a bridle - much safer! I mostly fish solo, so sitting side on is not so important to me. I like to save my back, so don’t anchor much at all these days - just use spot lock on my Minn Kota. ?

You can also drift along the drop off if conditions are right and flick lures like soft plastics ahead of the boat and in towards the target zone. I know Scratchie fishes this way a lot, with considerable success. (I’m still working on it!). A drogue can help you position your boat how you want.

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

Guest Guest123456789
11 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

:blink: though I feel like 90% of the time when im fishing, its like this.............:1wallbash:

Wrong 1.png

Wrong 3.png

I’m more like this i think

15C768DA-E3CB-479C-8E96-13E6D6E16723.png

The first scenario is ideal  the second is probable  the artwork is awesome  in any kind of sea  do not tie of to side of boat  very dangerous practice  if you need to angle your boat across current and wind  leave your anchor attached to front but use a bridle from rear corner to lead rope to turn boat slightly  this mantains boat bow facing sea..havnt got anything to draw on but might try later..lol...rick

• Like 2

Guest Guest123456789
15 hours ago, fragmeister said:

Correct me if I am wrong boys but I think they mean more like this.

fish.thumb.png.38883dae483032bf7bfd3e5550768a8b.png

This is all dependent on current flow... last week at Long Reef I was fishing from on top of the reef because the current flow and wind was in that direction. But it was sort of at an angle across the reef into the deeper water.

This meant that when I hooked up my bait was in the deeper water but across the reef so I got reefed on a few good fish that I had painstakingly burleyed up over a few hours.

I like the smile on the first fish eating the bait

So here's the verdict guys 

Tried a couple of spots wide of Sydney, mostly around coogee. Varied depths between 30m and 70m, fishing areas between reef drop offs and gravel. 

Got absolutely plagued by jackets the whole day. At one stage lost 3 rigs on 3 casts and then said f%# it, pulled anchor and moved elsewhere. Ended up with some just legal snapper for a feed and then did a drift for 9 blue spots

Happy that i tangled with the target species. Im in the right area...now how do i leave my baits in tact long enough to get through the jackets and pickers? Any tips.