Snapper....at the top or the bottom

GoingFishing

Thanks for the tips fellas

The problem with the waters east of Sydney is that we have reef right up on the cliffs (which typically dont fish well for snapper), then mostly sand out to 50m depth and then thats where most of the snapper gravel/reefs are. 

Long reef and northern beaches have better reefs at a shallower ground so i might try the northern beaches this weekend

Edited by GoingFishing

Try working bluefish point. Plenty of good snapper and kings come from there. Try sps early morning. Cast in front of the boat and let them drift but maintain contact with your lure! Plenty of reef there for all species. If not Sam, get up here and I’ll give you some tuition! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 2

On 8/4/2018 at 10:59 AM, rickmarlin62 said:

I like how he drew my vsea

Hmmmm.... pretty sure it couldn't be yours mate... it thought I saw an eTec on the back .....  ? :-rolleyes ?  Sorry couldn't resist guys !!

Awesome topic though.... I have been trying for a bump head red off Sydney for years... this topic may just help !

Sam, @rickmarlin62 had a great post a while back on his techniques for big reds... in there he mentions the 12-20m reefs and unweighted bigger baits - half mackerel heads as top big red baits...   That may help with the pickers and leather jackets.

Cheers

Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Hmmmm.... pretty sure it couldn't be yours mate... it thought I saw an eTec on the back .....  ? :-rolleyes ?  Sorry couldn't resist guys !!

Awesome topic though.... I have been trying for a bump head red off Sydney for years... this topic may just help !

Sam, @rickmarlin had a great post a while back on his techniques for big reds... in there he mentions the 12-20m reefs and unweighted bigger baits - half mackerel heads as top big red baits...   That may help with the pickers and leather jackets.

Cheers

Zoran

Ive only recently got into snapper fishing but from what i have read the consensus is that XL reds are hard to come by off sydney. I just dont think we have their ideal habitat for them here. But there is the occasional report of a good fish. The biggest snapper off Sydney for us was 72cm off long reef caught by my dad. An absolute fluke caught on paternoster with a bonito fillet. Apart from that, most of the reds we get off Sydney are around 30cm and occasionally up to 40cm.

I will dig up Ricks old post and have a read. I have also heard that whiting frames make good snapper bait.

Edited by GoingFishing