Maroubra Beach Salmon Action

TheSillySalmon

So myself and my fishing comrade (the cousin) got to Maroubra Beach around 5:45pm, about 10 minutes after low tide. We were unsure of what to expect as we had never fished here at night at low tide.  ????

We arrive and set up shop, roughly outside the blue surf club , where one of the main gutters on the beach is.  There’s seems to be a decent swell and bit of a wind. Armed with gang hooks and pillies we get to work. No bites for the first 1 hour or so . Then BOOM ! My cousin is on with his first Aussie salmon on the line.  Thanks to our headlamps  we watch it jump in the air  about 10m out from shore , and spit the hook .... ??

My cousin is straight back on it armed with a new pillie. 5 minutes later he gets hit again...only for this new fish to spit it again .. ☹️ 

At this point I’m 100 metres away down the beach and reeling in to cast my rig again when BOOM. I get hit . Luckily for me I was able to get her in and beach her . Cheering. ??

Finer details 

Swell - just shy of 4m (according to willy weather)

Wind - NE 25km/h winds 

Time: Roughly 7:30pm (2 hours after low tide )

Details :

Aussie Salmon 

Length - 50cm (NEW FISH PB!!!) ?????

(Someone plz tell me if this is the not the way you layout the reports I’m just going off some of the ones I’ve read ??)

EC413E0C-2AA9-4D80-BCBB-DBEE83DFC2D7.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheSillySalmon said:

So myself and my fishing comrade (the cousin) got to Maroubra Beach around 5:45pm, about 10 minutes after low tide. We were unsure of what to expect as we had never fished here at night at low tide.  ????

We arrive and set up shop, roughly outside the blue surf club , where one of the main gutters on the beach is.  There’s seems to be a decent swell and bit of a wind. Armed with gang hooks and pillies we get to work. No bites for the first 1 hour or so . Then BOOM ! My cousin is on with his first Aussie salmon on the line.  Thanks to our headlamps  we watch it jump in the air  about 10m out from shore , and spit the hook .... ??

My cousin is straight back on it armed with a new pillie. 5 minutes later he gets hit again...only for this new fish to spit it again .. ☹️ 

At this point I’m 100 metres away down the beach and reeling in to cast my rig again when BOOM. I get hit . Luckily for me I was able to get her in and beach her . Cheering. ??

Finer details 

Swell - just shy of 4m (according to willy weather)

Wind - NE 25km/h winds 

Time: Roughly 7:30pm (2 hours after low tide )

Details :

Aussie Salmon 

Length - 50cm (NEW FISH PB!!!) ?????

(Someone plz tell me if this is the not the way you layout the reports I’m just going off some of the ones I’ve read ??)

EC413E0C-2AA9-4D80-BCBB-DBEE83DFC2D7.jpeg

Great report Silly Salmon! Your pictured fish looks like a Tailor though? Either way, well done

• Thanks 1

Great report ! 

Tailor are known to do some acrobatics too....be careful of those teeth on the tailor they are sharp as a surgeons knife.

Got a nasty gash through my finger in my early fishing days pulling hooks out of tailor....now i use plyers !

• Thanks 1

Maroubra Beach and North Maroubra in general are great spots. Well, when I used to fish it in the late 80s and 90s. 

You can get all sorts of good fish there from bream, luderick to snapper and jew. In the top picture with the beach and sand bottom showing:

1 - the wreck of the Hereward (ran aground in 1899) lies in front of the stormwater drain. Every few years bits of wreckage become uncovered from their sandy grave and there are also the rocks in close that hold luderick on high tides, shallow fishing with a bobby cork in very calm seas or flicking light baits out should smash them. Same for spot 2. Luderick come in and feed on cabbage in the shallow rocks there. The general area over the sand is good for whiting, bream and trevally at times too. 

At spot  there is at least one rod hole carved into the rock that is a bit higher off the water. I used to catch good bream (most times) and tailor (mostly colder months) off there at all times of the year. You also get whiting. There is usually a big gutter that runs along the reef out to sea and an old schoolmate even landed a 35lb jew there in the late 80s. I am sure jewies are still caught around the 'Bra. A bit of whitewater spilling over the gutter would be better opposed to clean, calm seas. It is a relatively safe spot in a swell, but not a big ground swell. Common sense should dictate one's decision to fish here, or any rock fishing spot for that matter. At the spot X I speared a huge flathead in my younger days, easily 1 meter long. 

In the second image, is the best wash for luderick with  marking the stake in the rock (if it is still there at all). Also bream, drummer and other wash-based goodies await you here. 

Spot is higher off the water by about one and a half meters and there are at least a couple of rod holes there where you could throw a bait out to sand (4) and leave the rod in the holder while you fish a light bait or luderick in close. I remember an old Austrian bloke - everyone called him Snapper Steve - who would get nice reds there. 

Enjoy! 

North Maroubra 1.jpg

North Maroubra 2.jpg

Edited by Amatteroflight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Great report Silly Salmon! Your pictured fish looks like a Tailor though? Either way, well done

Thanks for the reply wazatherfisherman . You’re joking hahah ? ? I was convinced I had a salmon. Guess I better get back out there and keep trying for one 

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

No right or wrong way to put your report on here mate. The fish is a Tailor and not an Australian Salmon. Welcome to the site and we'll all look forward to reading your posts down the track. Cheers, bn

Cheers big Neil for the reply !! ?

3 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Great report layout!!

Don't worry about incorrect ID of fish - we have all done it along the line. You can always put a pic into our The Aquarium section and the experts will ID it for you. 

Thanks mrsswordfisherman , I might actually do that with another fish I caught last week (I thought it was a salmon as well but have a feeling it could have been a tailor ... ?)

3 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Great report ! 

Tailor are known to do some acrobatics too....be careful of those teeth on the tailor they are sharp as a surgeons knife.

Got a nasty gash through my finger in my early fishing days pulling hooks out of tailor....now i use plyers !

Thanks for the reply GoingFishing Absolutely , I better go have a look in the shed

3 hours ago, Amatteroflight said:

Maroubra Beach and North Maroubra in general are great spots. Well, when I used to fish it in the late 80s and 90s. 

You can get all sorts of good fish there from bream, luderick to snapper and jew. In the top picture with the beach and sand bottom showing:

1 - the wreck of the Hereward (ran aground in 1899) lies in front of the stormwater drain. Every few years bits of wreckage become uncovered from their sandy grave and there are also the rocks in close that hold luderick on high tides, shallow fishing with a bobby cork in very calm seas or flicking light baits out should smash them. Same for spot 2. Luderick come in and feed on cabbage in the shallow rocks there. The general area over the sand is good for whiting, bream and trevally at times too. 

At spot  there is at least one rod hole carved into the rock that is a bit higher off the water. I used to catch good bream (most times) and tailor (mostly colder months) off there at all times of the year. You also get whiting. There is usually a big gutter that runs along the reef out to sea and an old schoolmate even landed a 35lb jew there in the late 80s. I am sure jewies are still caught around the 'Bra. A bit of whitewater spilling over the gutter would be better opposed to clean, calm seas. It is a relatively safe spot in a swell, but not a big ground swell. Common sense should dictate one's decision to fish here, or any rock fishing spot for that matter. At the spot X I speared a huge flathead in my younger days, easily 1 meter long. 

In the second image, is the best wash for luderick with  marking the stake in the rock (if it is still there at all). Also bream, drummer and other wash-based goodies await you here. 

Spot is higher off the water by about one and a half meters and there are at least a couple of rod holes there where you could throw a bait out to sand (4) and leave the rod in the holder while you fish a light bait or luderick in close. I remember an old Austrian bloke - everyone called him Snapper Steve - who would get nice reds there. 

Enjoy! 

North Maroubra 1.jpg

North Maroubra 2.jpg

Thanks Amatteroflight for the in depth response , definitely appreciated !! :)

Very glad to hear you’ve heard of  Jewies being caught here . Myself and cousin are looking to start trying to catch our first Jewie, once we get our gear set up to match .??? 

• Thanks 1

.... the second image, is the best wash for luderick with  marking the stake in the rock (if it is still there at all). Also bream, drummer and other wash-based goodies await you here. 

Maroubra was one of my stomping grounds around that time too ... and wasn't The Stake the best possie when the swell was high enough that you probably shouldn't have been fishing in the first place!

Jim

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, fragmeister said:

.... the second image, is the best wash for luderick with  marking the stake in the rock (if it is still there at all). Also bream, drummer and other wash-based goodies await you here. 

Maroubra was one of my stomping grounds around that time too ... and wasn't The Stake the best possie when the swell was high enough that you probably shouldn't have been fishing in the first place!

Jim

I had so many good sessions out at the Stake....and elsewhere around The 'Bra, such as Mahon Pool , Mistral Point (cliff fished there) then Lurline Bay and Honeycombe at South Coogee and North Coogee point. 

The most amazing thing was, last Friday, I went into Global tackle at Kingsford and got my luderick rod, reel and other bits. There were three guys in there, including the owner. After a bit of chit-chat one of the guys asked if my name was so and so. I said yeah, that's me. It was a fellow I always saw fishing or surfing out at Maroubra, Johnny. I remember him catching a jew at Big Greeny in the middle of the day I think on a live sweep. That jew was some 40lb plus! Just to bump into one of the fishos of my generation was fantastic. Had a good yarn. The bastard is currently fishing at the Montebello Islands in WA. Grrrrrr....

Edited by Amatteroflight

8 hours ago, Amatteroflight said:

I had so many good sessions out at the Stake....and elsewhere around The 'Bra, such as Mahon Pool , Mistral Point (cliff fished there) then Lurline Bay and Honeycombe at South Coogee and North Coogee point. 

The most amazing thing was, last Friday, I went into Global tackle at Kingsford and got my luderick rod, reel and other bits. There were three guys in there, including the owner. After a bit of chit-chat one of the guys asked if my name was so and so. I said yeah, that's me. It was a fellow I always saw fishing or surfing out at Maroubra, Johnny. I remember him catching a jew at Big Greeny in the middle of the day I think on a live sweep. That jew was some 40lb plus! Just to bump into one of the fishos of my generation was fantastic. Had a good yarn. The bastard is currently fishing at the Montebello Islands in WA. Grrrrrr....

I would be surprised if we hadn't met up at some stage.

I fished there often with Bobby Russo an LGB legend who also frequented The Murk around that time. 

"Bob the W@G " they called him in those days when he was a fishing newbie. He soon learnt the trade and ended up a very respected fisherman and certainly a real character.

My most memorable day at "The Stake" was when a young Asian character without cleats went in the drink after being bowled over by a wave.

Clearly, he could not swim so I jumped in after him.  In those days I carried the uninflated bladder from a "goon bag" ( a 5-litre cast of wine for those unfamiliar with the term)   in my shirt pocket so after grabbing the guy ( who was panicking and nearly drowning both of us) Inflated the bag and gave it to him to hang on to.

I swam him out to deeper water away from the suck zone ( thank Christ for the bronze medallion certificate)  and swam him around to the beach.

The guy was most appreciative but I have to say the adrenaline was so high and the shock of the whole nearly dying person in my care thing really freaked me out at the time. I hooked into him in a big way ...

"You Fu$#%$ idiot.. what the F^%K do you think you were doing... I should have let you F%^&*ing die there ...you nearly killed both of us... you stupid F@#$en etc etc"

Never saw the guy again... I hope he learned his lesson.

Anyway... I look forward to more of your fishing posts.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister
Makes more sense
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah ha, I can now see that Bob the W@G has been automatically edited in the post above because of political correctness.

Loses a lot in the translation I have to say!

I am willing to accept this but I have to say that Bob was the best of mates and the term was about as affectionate as you could get. He was a lovely bloke who has my utmost respect.

Edited by fragmeister

15 minutes ago, fragmeister said:

Ah ha, I can now see that Bob the W@G has been automatically edited in the post above because of political correctness.

Loses a lot in the translation I have to say!

I am willing to accept this but I have to say that Bob was the best of mates and the term was about as affectionate as you could get. He was a lovely bloke who has my utmost respect.

Swordie fished with Bob the Wog, Jock and Mark Way in the 70s at the Tubes.

Here is swordie with Scott Mitchell

77EB07B7-FAA2-4B0F-AFF7-C04550A254E3.jpeg

7 hours ago, TheSillySalmon said:

Thanks mrsswordfisherman , I might actually do that with another fish I caught last week (I thought it was a salmon as well but have a feeling it could have been a tailor ... ?)

Look at it this way.

your fish is big for a tailor, but would be small for a salmon, so we’ll done.

also, tailor are good eating if fresh. Salmon are not. So again nothing wrong with the result.

cheers

V.

• Like 1

Good on ya Jim. You know, the story doesn't hold any surprises for me. You're that sort of guy who would instinctively leap into danger to help someone out. I hope that he learned his lesson and is still fishing (safely). Cheers, bn