Maroubra Beach Salmon Action

TheSillySalmon

Unbelievable... what a small world!

Bobby worked as a contract mechanic for me in the 80's

Such a unique character. I remember him talking about a 3-month stint camping on the rocks in WA helium ( or was it hydrogen) balloon fishing.

They were on a property running small and accountable herd of goats and as far as I can tell the farmer wandered into their camp one day looking for a missing goat that might have ended up on the boy's menu that night.  

BTW Donna ... how did you get past the W@G filter?

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

4 hours ago, fragmeister said:

I would be surprised if we hadn't met up at some stage.

I fished there often with Bobby Russo an LGB legend who also frequented The Murk around that time. 

"Bob the our friends" they called him in those days when he was a fishing newbie. He soon learnt the trade and ended up a very respected fisherman and certainly a real character.

My most memorable day at "The Stake" was when a young Asian character without cleats went in the drink after being bowled over by a wave.

Clearly, he could not swim so I jumped in after him.  In those days I carried the uninflated bladder from a "goon bag" ( a 5-litre cast of wine for those unfamiliar with the term)   in my shirt pocket so after grabbing the guy ( who was panicking and nearly drowning both of us) Inflated the bag and gave it to him to hang on to.

I swam him out to deeper water away from the suck zone ( thank Christ for the bronze medallion certificate)  and swam him around to the beach.

The guy was most appreciative but I have to say the adrenaline was so high and the shock of the whole nearly dying person in my care thing really freaked me out at the time. I hooked into him in a big way ...

"You Fu$#%$ idiot.. what the F^%K do you think you were doing... I should have let you F%^&*ing die there ...you nearly killed both of us... you stupid F@#$en etc etc"

Never saw the guy again... I hope he learned his lesson.

Anyway... I look forward to more of your fishing posts.

Cheers

Jim

Just wanted to add also you're a brave man Jim, people that jump in to save others don't get the recognition they deserve. That's a truly heroic deed, that guy and his family are really lucky you were there that day 

3 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Just wanted to add also you're a brave man Jim, people that jump in to save others don't get the recognition they deserve. That's a truly heroic deed, that guy and his family are really lucky you were there that day 

Thanks Waza, brave or stupid, one of the two!  

11 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

Good stuff, you did well getting some fish on the bottom of the tide off the beach. Swell condition from Willy Weather was probably in feet not meters. No 4m swell out there recently.

Cheers.

Rich

Cheers Rich  

Yes it definitely could have been feet 

13 hours ago, Volitan said:

Look at it this way.

your fish is big for a tailor, but would be small for a salmon, so we’ll done.

also, tailor are good eating if fresh. Salmon are not. So again nothing wrong with the result.

cheers

V.

Hey Volitan nothing wrong with the Aussie Salmon for eating. I used to think the same but now that i prep it right and cook it properly it's great. Red Emporer it isn't but good eating. Cheers R&B 

I guess I should try eating one.

Im not sure I want this to become common knowledge though, having most people think kahawai are inedible must take the pressure off.  Eden cannery might restart. Seine netting. Numbers would plunge.