upper Warrel creek kayak session

dirvin21

managed a session this afternoon kayaking a section of upper Warrel creek I haven't fished for atleast 12 years. 

The weather was pretty ordinary with a cold wind blowing, the water looked pretty good though, very clear for Warrel creek. Casting zman grubz at the edges the first half of the paddle produced nothing but the odd tap. Eventually noticed a shallow gravel bed running up the middle, a cast over the gravel and almost immediately a hit and miss, followed by another and a hookup after quite a fight up comes a bream.

20180803_162934.thumb.jpg.7abcb02409420e2461e38d47faf34475.jpg

Things always seem better when the doughtnuts busted.

No more hits on the gravel bed, put a cast along a deep bank, half way through the retrieve a subtle tap then weight, too awhile for the fish to realise it was hooked then it was on. The fish ran me all over the creek, eventually it came yakside a solid estuary perch, not something I see very often.

20180803_163529.thumb.jpg.c92dd6c1f107b7e3822503d2e3eb7500.jpg

I've no doubt it's a perch, the angle of the picture doesn't show how concave the forhead is 

The EP was quickly released being spawn season 

Kept working my way up with little interest until finally casting another gravel bed another take. Straight away called a flathead it ran deep and gave me a hell of a run around and eventually a mid 50's flattie came up yakside 

20180803_164620.thumb.jpg.a126baf7dbdd11c48dfb9336986e6712.jpg

No more fish played the game and with light fading it was time to end the session. Only 3 fish landed but they all fought really hard and always good to catch something different.

The zman grubz was a copper penny colour just to mix it up

cheers for reading 

Dave 

• Like 7