raging

My diy removable live bait tank

Posted (edited)

Thought I’d post some pics.

wanted a better live bait tank but didn’t want a permanently installed one. The goal was cheap, low battery draw & use bits from the garage.

Pic one is the water proof controller box. Connects to the ctek comfort connect that’s already hanging off the battery. Has a two position water proof switch (rubber cover missing on the switch in the pic), one for always on, other is for the infinite programmable relay, so currently set to 30 seconds on, 60 seconds off. The dial is for the pulse width modulation controller so I can adjust speed and power draw. 4 amps at full, 2 amps at half speed.

76E82B72-954B-4A5D-8FD7-0C3A05F80427.jpeg

Edited by raging
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

More pics.

Self priming pump that can pull water up 2 metres. When I’m stationary or trolling it will pick up sea water. When underway I’ll put the pick up into the tank to aerate the water. The small black pipe at the bend is a Venturi pipe that sucks air in to aerate the water. This took a while to get the angle of bottom of the tube and depth of tube right to get good air flow.

last things to do a seperater as I catch yakkas and squid. I’ve ordered a $1 filter to go on the pickup, waiting for it to ship from China.

3AC33F4D-5902-4F0D-9105-E8D2ED80E9AF.jpeg

0AE9F935-6216-4948-8425-11AC0CD579EC.jpeg

1269B6B2-13A0-4086-9348-AE7D90ED4EB3.jpeg

Edited by raging
  • Like 2

Wow that's extremely high tec, not wanting to put a downer on the project but this is simply circulating the water isn't it ?

The first squid that inks will turn the tank into a black Slimey mess. Water temp is very important which is why most of us use a constant flow of sea water from the location we are in. We sometimes collect fish ( under permit ) for a south coast aquarium, changing the water is vitally important even on 2-3 fish of 20-40mm in 20lt tubs.

It’s both. 

Will sit on my transom (have a wide transom) when stationary, drifting, down rigging etc bringing in sea water. But also can recirculate & aerate.

D8AC295E-8A60-4465-B986-C324E41F07D9.jpeg

Wow that is high tech.  You must be pretty handy with electronics.    I don’t think you will need to seperate the squid and yakkas. I have never had any drama in one tank.

Let is know how it goes out on the water.  If you upgrade the esky at some stage I’d look for one with a hinged lid. 

19 minutes ago, Welster said:

I don’t think you will need to seperate the squid and yakkas. I have never had any drama in one tank.

I’ve read mixed reports. As everything else was over kill why not add one 😀

I added one using a plastic from a $2 clothes peg head holder from Bunnings. It’s removable.

21 minutes ago, Welster said:

you upgrade the esky at some stage I’d look for one with a hinged lid. 

Yeah totally, the esky was already in the garage when I started, but a hinged lid would be way better.

19 minutes ago, raging said:

I’ve read mixed reports. As everything else was over kill why not add one 😀

I added one using a plastic from a $2 clothes peg head holder from Bunnings. It’s removable.

Yeah totally, the esky was already in the garage when I started, but a hinged lid would be way better.

When I started using my first live bait tank I was commenting to my fishing mate about the squid swimming at the back of the boat.  When he pointed out they were the ones we just caught it wasn’t so good.    So some sort of screen on the drain side would be handy.

20 hours ago, raging said:

Thought I’d post some pics.

wanted a better live bait tank but didn’t want a permanently installed one. The goal was cheap, low battery draw & use bits from the garage.

Pic one is the water proof controller box. Connects to the ctek comfort connect that’s already hanging off the battery. Has a two position water proof switch (rubber cover missing on the switch in the pic), one for always on, other is for the infinite programmable relay, so currently set to 30 seconds on, 60 seconds off. The dial is for the pulse width modulation controller so I can adjust speed and power draw. 4 amps at full, 2 amps at half speed.

76E82B72-954B-4A5D-8FD7-0C3A05F80427.jpeg

I like it mate, especially the adjustability of the pump. What is the adjustable relay thing you have? I have a kit adjustable programmable timer I bought from Jaycar on mine. Works nice. 

Posted (edited)

I’ll send you a link. It shipped cheaply from China for $6. Didn’t come with instructions so took a while to work it out

Edited by raging

I really like that controller box, variable speed and on off is a stroke of genius. And keeping the bilge out of the water is smart, mine is currently submerged and I’m scared to use it in shallow water because of noise.

Thanks

I’ll trial it out this weekend - see how she goes.

mine is almost identical but without the speed control. I mounted the pump under the floor of my boat so i can use it for washdown and bait. great pumps, put a hose spray/jet thingy on and kids will never leave it alone lol

• Like 1

Thats pretty neat set up

Seems more proffessional than diy

Nice work