Red Crabs

wazatherfisherman

As Red Crabs have been mentioned a bit recently, I thought it might be of interest to share some of the methods used to catch them.

There are several types of crabs that inhabit the wave-swept shoreline of the ocean rocks. The common varieties that I encountered in Sydney's eastern suburbs were: Sowrie crabs- that were commonly called "Scotchies" due to their 'tartan-like' markings, Variegated shore crabs- known by most as "Purples" or "Scuttley's" from their purpley markings and habit or being quick movers, often seen in dry crevices well above the water, Reef crabs- with robust bodies and large claws, looking similar to a mini mud crab, they are known as "Tanks" for obvious visual reasons and Red crabs- usually found either right on the waterline or in the wave-swept cracks adjacent- they're commonly called "Reddies". There are others but these are the more commonly encountered, often found sharing the same locality/crevice. All of them are good bait, however, the Reddies are the best, being especially favoured by Bream and Groper. They are the one bait that will consistently catch large Bream from the rocks in daylight hours, regardless of the sea condition. Large Blue Groper are also partial to a whole Reddie floated down and are an easier and hardier bait to present to them than their other favourite, the sea urchin.

There are quite a few different ways to obtain Reddies. First and most obvious is to either 'shuffle' with the feet or feel with your hands- this involves finding a larger pool on a low rock platform that has a fairly  constant flow of water over it during the higher parts of the tide. The pool needs to have a nice thick growth of darker cabbage weed (although darker green it's known as "Black-Cabbage" by Luderick fisho's)- it's also advantageous for the pool to have a growth of brown and/or maroon coloured weed (which has the consistency of say, coarse steel-wool) as the crabs hide in the weed during daylight hours. When either hand-feeling or shuffling, as the crabs are disturbed, the different varieties react to disturbances in very different ways. The Scotchies and Tanks usually make a short "run for it" and move at least a foot or two, the Scuttley's and Purples will take off and run further, often even jumping off edges or into the ocean. The Reddies have a different "defence mechanism"- they only move a couple of inches if at all, their strategy being to move less, hide and "cling" on where they are. Their legs are 'spiky' and with finer pointed leg-ends, more suitable for holding onto both the weed/cabbage and the rock itself.  This brings about their undoing, as fishermen have long known the "clingers" are the desired Reddies and any shorter movement detected usually results in their discovery. So by putting a hand straight on top of them, they can be grabbed, weed and all if necessary. After dark, they become far less wary and can often be spotted with a torch, moving in the pools.

Next "hand" method is the quickest way to get them, but does take a fair bit of nerve, I have to admit that I was too "chicken" to try doing it for a couple of years after being shown. For this method a narrower, deeper pool or crevice close to the edge is selected, you plunge both arms down the crack with hands about 2 feet apart and fingers outstretched. Then you slowly move your hands towards each other along the underwater rock, the Reddies generally cling where they are, moving only a minimal distance. Any other varieties of crabs run for it, the Reddies cling and as your hands get close together, any crabs are sandwiched together between each hand. The first time I was shown, the two-handed result was a "ball" of crabs about the size of a rockmelon- this took roughly 30-40 seconds to achieve- pretty impressive to me, considering I'd spent about 20 minutes to get just 6 with a crab spear. The 'fear' in this method comes from several factors- firstly you can't really see what's goin on down the crevice as you have to keep an eye on the sea (NEVER take your eyes off it)- especially when right along the edge where the best quantities of crabs reside. Next, Green Eels like similar environments. So do Blue Ringed octopus. Also, crabs have claws and are happy to use them!-

Having said all this, the 'positive' points (other than quickness of capture) are: If crabs are present, neither Eels or octopus will be as they both eat the crabs and the crabs shouldn't be there. After seeing this method done for years resulting in no 'nasties' it certainly appears to be true. As for the claws, Reddies, unlike the other mentioned varieties, have much smaller, weaker claws that genuinely do little more than pinch, whereas any nip from the other species will be both painful and often bloody! Lucky the 'biters and nippers' always flee. So sight unseen any "clingy" crabs are safe to grab. Before I was 'comfortable' with this method, I started taking old leather gardening gloves to get my crabs, but had to endure the stirring from the rest of the crew, nevertheless, I used them until forgetting to take them and had to do without. Bugger. As bag limits for bait crabs now apply (10 crabs) it's only a 'plunge or two' and the crab-grab 'ordeal' is over!

Next method is far more 'civilised'- a 'crab spear' is made from a about a metre long piece of strong galvanised wire, it needs to be thick enough wire to be able to 'lever' the crabs from their horizontal waterline crevice, yet pliable enough so you can bend it to whatever shape is needed to push into said crevice. This was the first method I was shown and a practice that many of us used regularly, only problems were that it took far longer to get enough for bait and also when you spear them you lose a bit of them to the spear hole and you also kill them meaning unused crabs can't be released.

While spearing them in a large pool one day, a great discovery was made. One of our rock fishing mentors, Wally, spotted and speared an octopus about a foot long (you were allowed to in those days) as we walked through a really long tidal pool towards the side with more accessible waist-high crevices. He dispatched it by whacking it on the rocks and pushed it to the handle end (wire-looped end) of his spear. We proceeded to search for crabs. After spotting a crab, he was maneuvering the spear towards it down the crevice, dead occi on the end still, all of a sudden, other crabs that had been hidden from sight, started running out of the crevice and just stood, out of the water on the rock, I managed to grab about half a dozen without the spear! They seemed to be in "shock" for want of a better description! We were really surprised at their reaction and decided to push the dead occi down some of the more inaccessible crevices- same result! Crabs galore and we simply picked them up, they were obviously freaked out by the occi's presence.

Hmm- wonder if an octopus skirt lure would work? Over the next few trips, different coloured occi skirts were tried with great success. Red, pink and various different striped patterns all worked, best sizes were definitely 9 and 12 inch. You just nip the tip of the skirt's 'crown' off and push it onto a piece of dowel, then bind it on with a bit of stainless wire- presto! Crab "frightener"! 

As for using them as bait, if after Groper -they are used whole, by simply cutting off either one or both back legs and hook inserted through leg socket and out through the underside of the crab/other socket leaving body pretty much intact, by doing it this way it's both natural looking and better lasting from 'pickers'. Other method mainly used for Bream and Pigs (Rock Blackfish/Black Drummer) is to CUT -DON'T TEAR! all the legs off- if you tear you'll pull much of the meat out and ruin much of the bait, then place knife under the back of the carapace (shell) and 'lift' the top off carefully. This body section is then either cut straight in half or in half again crossways, leaving four 'quarters'. Take a cut off leg and thread this onto hook and push until off hook and up onto line, then insert hook through a leg socket of the half/quarter body section and into the meat- making sure that the hook point will be exposed enough to penetrate the mouth of the fish eating it- then slide the leg back down onto hook shank. This looks fairly natural also. Experimenting by using several legs, smaller sections etc is up to the user, but sectioning the crab into the four pieces plus legs gives four baits rather than one- remember only 10 crabs allowed.

-Reddies are also often seen on wharf pylons around the harbour, usually close to the surface and can be tempted to take a small bit of bait on a tiny (size 12 or so) size hook- they are often large size and make choice Groper baits used whole. Which ever method you use, they are superb bait and well worth the trouble to collect

Edited by wazatherfisherman
spelling mistake!
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for taking the time to write up this great post.

I grew up in a small town on the south coast and like your occy shock method, remember the aboriginal fishermen tying red ribbons on the end of a wire to imitate a red crab and coax small octopus out of their holes for their jewfish baits.

Edited by Green Hornet

5 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Thanks for taking the time to write up this great post.

I grew up in a small town on the south coast and like your occy shock method, remember the aboriginal fishermen tying red ribbons on the end of a wire to imitate a red crab and coax small octopus out of their holes for their jewfish baits.

G'day Green Hornet glad you liked the post, it did take a while as I'm a one finger typist! The ribbons are a great idea also! It's great how these sort of discoveries lead to equally as interesting ones! That's like the reverse of the occi frightener and a really good idea. Thanks also for sharing it