Fish ID x 2 (Eastern Orange Perch and Bluestriped Goatfish)

Welster

Question

6 answers to this question

May be a good idea to post general locality: eg. offshore from Sydney or Melbourne or Antarctica? :) I am guessing you fished offshore somewhere near Sydney based on your profile location.

The first one looks like an Eastern Orange PerchLepidopercha pulchella

The second is a Bluestriped GoatfishUpeneichtys lineatus.

Edited by Amatteroflight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Amatteroflight said:

May be a good idea to post general locality: eg. offshore from Sydney or Melbourne or Antarctica? :) I am guessing you fished offshore somewhere near Sydney based on your profile location.

The first one looks like an Eastern Orange PerchLepidopercha pulchella

The second is a Bluestriped GoatfishUpeneichtys lineatus.

Thank you 

Yes sorry I should of added that in.  Caught off Sydney the first fish in around 110 metres of water the second around 60m.

I agree with the second ID the first one the eyes on mine look more pronounced than the one in the link.

Edited by Welster

9 hours ago, connico said:

The eyes being pronounced is most likely because the fish has just been pulled from 110m of water.

Yep. The eyes look pretty popped out. I can't remember seeing any slender fish species with such bulging eyes.

Compare the pectoral, anal, ventral fin sizes and the shape and size of its tail over the general shape and colour of the fish with the relative sizes of the fins to the body and you have what appears to be an Eastern Orange Perch. 

Edited by Amatteroflight
fixed typo
  • Thanks 1