RFI - The Entrance, shore-based

Hunkgarian

HI Raiders,

I promised our 12-year old and her grandpa to take them fishing so we are going to make a family day at The Entrance this weekend. 

Would anyone have any suggestions for a shore-based location near a picnic area where the mother in law and wife can hang while I take the younger daughter and pops to wet a line? I was thinking somewhere around Picnic Point or similar? 

Thanks for any tips.... :)

Hi Akos

There are a number of spots you can fish around the entrance. One is the spot suggested by Fred Flathead. 

The other is the park on the south side of the tourist park. I think its called Dunleith Tourist Park. Theres a sitting area,parking and you can fish the waterfront there for whiting bream and flathead.

Another option is the Memorial park infront of the shops where the big grass patch. There are a couple of shelters there if u get there early enough. The wife and MIL can sit there and u and fishing co can walk south and fish the opening/mouth where the lake meets the ocean. Take a variety of tackle as the water can run really fast there.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Picnic Point is a good spot with shelter and BBQs...it is exposed in a westerly wind so not that great during much of this winter.

Like fredflathead said above, the north side of the bridge is good as it has a wharf to fish from, plenty of parking and there is childrens play equipment there too...it is also a bit sheltered from the wind too.

The memorial park will be pretty busy this weekend with the Country Music festival and to be honest, it's not a great spot to fish. The channel to the sea is full of sand andthe tidal movement is a bit slow.

Fishing from the Dunleith caravan park side might be a go though I've never done very well there.

An alternative might be to fish the beach...with the westerly winds we seem to be getting non stop atm the beach will be sheltered though with not much swell it may be quiet.

Top be honest, the lake seems pretty quiet this winter. Last I heard there were a few leatherjackets coming in, the blackfish seem to be a hit and miss proposition and there are not many fish to be seen in the crystal clear water as I walk around the lake and over the bridge.

I hope you have a good trip up here.

KB

Edited by Koalaboi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1