Lobsters - Central Coast

ornz

Hi Everyone,

Been a while since my last post. I was keen to see if anyone has had any luck, or tried dropping a lobster pot around Pearl Beach / Patonga way. I've got my mud crabbing down pat but was keen to see if i could get a lobster for the wife as she is not too keen on muddies.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Not sure about that neck of the woods but down on the south coast we are experiencing a fantastic winter for southern rock lobsters. The commercial  guys finished their season very early due to large catches along the shelf which have now moved in along the headlands. 

We are finding large nests of lobsters in locations we've never seen them before, which is a good thing as the leatherjackets have messed the snapper fishing completely. Those I know who are using pots aren't having great success, which is mostly due to port Jackson , eels, jackets and toadys getting the bait first. My advice would be put the pot in at the end of the day as the lobsters roam and feed mostly after dark, keep it as close to kelp wash areas as possible.

38 minutes ago, ornz said:

Cheers Jon,

This will all be land based, so near the rocks for me (Unless i drag out the yak).

Any advice on types of pots?

Cheers

Thats ideal, most divers don't bother looking right up against the rocks in my location as these spots tend to get knocked about by the slightest of swell, yet the lobsters love these spots. Those spots tend to not have so many pickers either, unfortunately eels are the exception :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2018 at 2:57 PM, ornz said:

Cheers Jon,

This will all be land based, so near the rocks for me (Unless i drag out the yak).

Any advice on types of pots?

Cheers

I've been thinking about getting some pots myself.  There is a guy locally that makes them.  PM me if you want info.  I would love some tips on muddies.  I get blue swimmers over summer.  Have not had any luck with muddies.

If you need a boat to place your lobster trap drop me a line. Happy to help as I have been thinking about giving this a try too.

20 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Your only allowed to take 1 in nsw aren't you?? 

Depends what you are asking.  You are only allowed 1 Lobster pot, but can take 2 lobsters in NSW.  So really when I said "some pots" I should have said "a pot".  There is no point getting more than one.

14 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Sorry if there is some confusion. I was meaning you could take 2 Lobsters per person per day.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/saltwater-bag-and-size-limits

I think you will find that the lobster limit of 2 is a possession limit and not a daily take limit. Meaning that if you caught 2 on saturday and they are still in your fridge/freezer you need to eat 1 before you can catch another 1. Or eat both before you can catch another 2. What is in your fridge/freezer from last week is included in your bag(possession) limit. Some species have a daily take limit and a possession limit that are defined separately. I think for most species the bag limit is actually a possession limit in the fine print anyway these days. See  below where i copied out of the link above.

Bag limit: The maximum number of fish or invertebrates per person per day. A maximum daily bag limit of 20 applies to any fish or invertebrate not included in the tables below. Protected and threatened species cannot be taken.

* Bag limit comprised of any single species or a combination of listed grouped species.

Possession limit: The maximum number of fish a person is allowed to have in their possession at any one time. This includes fish that are also stored elsewhere e.g. in fridge/freezer. For the following species or species groupings; Australian Bass and Estuary Perch, Bream and Tarwhine, Flathead species (except Dusky), Tailor, Luderick, Trevallies and Blue Swimmer Crab, the possession limit is twice the daily bag limit.

For all other saltwater species, including Dusky Flathead, the possession limit is the bag limit.
  • Thanks 2

On 8/22/2018 at 9:37 AM, Captain Spanner said:

I think you will find that the lobster limit of 2 is a possession limit and not a daily take limit. Meaning that if you caught 2 on saturday and they are still in your fridge/freezer you need to eat 1 before you can catch another 1. Or eat both before you can catch another 2. What is in your fridge/freezer from last week is included in your bag(possession) limit. Some species have a daily take limit and a possession limit that are defined separately. I think for most species the bag limit is actually a possession limit in the fine print anyway these days. See  below where i copied out of the link above.

Bag limit: The maximum number of fish or invertebrates per person per day. A maximum daily bag limit of 20 applies to any fish or invertebrate not included in the tables below. Protected and threatened species cannot be taken.

* Bag limit comprised of any single species or a combination of listed grouped species.

Possession limit: The maximum number of fish a person is allowed to have in their possession at any one time. This includes fish that are also stored elsewhere e.g. in fridge/freezer. For the following species or species groupings; Australian Bass and Estuary Perch, Bream and Tarwhine, Flathead species (except Dusky), Tailor, Luderick, Trevallies and Blue Swimmer Crab, the possession limit is twice the daily bag limit.

For all other saltwater species, including Dusky Flathead, the possession limit is the bag limit.

The possession limit doesn't mean you can only have two a home in the fridge or freezer. I can gather two each day and lawfully give them to each member of my family totalling 10 at home in our possession for our family of 5.

We tend to give most of our lobsters away as it's more about the fun of catching them than eating them for us. The people we give them to are often old and unable to fish anymore and also don't hold fishing licences.

Edited by JonD

On 8/20/2018 at 5:59 PM, kiwicraig said:

I've been thinking about getting some pots myself.  There is a guy locally that makes them.  PM me if you want info.  I would love some tips on muddies.  I get blue swimmers over summer.  Have not had any luck with muddies.

If you need a boat to place your lobster trap drop me a line. Happy to help as I have been thinking about giving this a try too.

Hey mate. I'll pm you, is be keen to get one off the guy you know. Also happy to take you to my secret place I go catching muddies. Probably a month away from any success as yet and very little gear required.

• Thanks 1