Blue Spot Flathead

josamill

Great bag of fish mate...flatties are my fav eating fish by far. Northern beaches is a very  productive fishery.

I got plagued by jackets this weekend...even lost a good fish on the way up when jackets ate the line (or line snapped at an earlier bite mark maybe). Did u get plagued by jackets too?

I was inspired by your post went today a bit windy but thats why I bought a barcrusher fished in 22 mtrs off the northan beaches got fish every drop within 1 minute. Had a sea anchor and using pillies took 4 home for dinner 41 38cm to 41cm. released the same and dropped a few back at the ramp by 11 am. Nice to have a change of luck.

38674304_1640898422685740_3853284232352759808_o.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Miketheangler said:

Excellent catch mate! Check out my page I have written up a large guide on catching flathead on soft plastics.

Happy fishing!

Where  is your page? I checked FB but Miketheangler there  is from the US

Edited by nutsaboutfishing

Hi - Thanks for your comments and questions -  We only use lures & plastics inshore for dusky flathead - Pittwater, Broken Bay, Tuross River etc.

Fishing in 50M I use an appropriate snapper dropper & 2 hooks - paternoster rig - & squid or pillies. Tried plastics - they work too, but not quite as well I don't think, and we are really out there just trying to grab dinner so looking for efficiency. People say use flathead for bait - it works, but if they are there, so does anything. Back out Saturday morning after a week of fish tacos.

Image result for paternoster rig

15 minutes ago, josamill said:

Hi - Thanks for your comments and questions -  We only use lures & plastics inshore for dusky flathead - Pittwater, Broken Bay, Tuross River etc.

Fishing in 50M I use an appropriate snapper dropper & 2 hooks - paternoster rig - & squid or pillies. Tried plastics - they work too, but not quite as well I don't think, and we are really out there just trying to grab dinner so looking for efficiency. People say use flathead for bait - it works, but if they are there, so does anything. Back out Saturday morning after a week of fish tacos.

Image result for paternoster rig

Have you tried using a jig on the bottom instead of the snapper lead? I use Shimano Bottom Ship jigs or similar and I often get 3 at a time (2 on the baits and 1 on the jig). Or, if I am baited, I’ll still pick one up on the jig on the way up. Only problem is if you get caught on a bit of reef, you lose a jig. I also sometimes put a plastic squid on one of the paternoster hooks instead of bait. They work well, too. There is also a $9 blue and white jig at KMart that seems to work well.

4A8348DF-5A81-4F1C-BC22-BE7226E5A692.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1