Fish smoker - what to buy?

foulhooked

Hi everyone,

I'm after a fish smoker for a present for my dad. Don't mind spending a bit of money on something good. Any advice? Also wouldn't mind knowing what wood chips etc I should be buying? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I looked into them a while back and the brand Masterbuilt kept popping up, not sure about the price range you had in mind, this place has lots of info https://www.smokedandcured.com.au/. That site has info on different wood chips for fish and meat explaining the flavours.

You can even purchase what looks like a stainless box to simply sit on an indoor cook top and smoke that way too which is very cost effective. 

Ive used some of those fold out boxes with racks and a small burner but found they rust quickly and a bit of a pain to use. Now I just use a small webber in a makeshift sort of way untill I can afford one of the ones I mentioned above.

• Like 1

Guest Guest123456789

Does he have a bbq already? You night be able to get a smoker set for it.

otherwise would he prefer gas or charcoal/wood? Gas is easier but some men (like me) prefer ‘wasting time’ building a fire as part of the experience and arguably you get better flavour with charcoal/wood.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:06 AM, flatheadluke said:

Does he have a bbq already? You night be able to get a smoker set for it.

otherwise would he prefer gas or charcoal/wood? Gas is easier but some men (like me) prefer ‘wasting time’ building a fire as part of the experience and arguably you get better flavour with charcoal/wood.

A lot of the newer USA made/style BBQ's have the side smoking box & if I had the room for one its what I would get as it is multi functional.

OP, what is 'a bit of money'?? can you give us a rough budget please.

Also are you looking at pure wood burner or electric or propane assisted?

How much space do you have for where its going, balcony or home/yard?

Lots of makes & models around but you have to ask yourself these questions first imo before you can even get into the choices.

Its the usual as we live on the outskirts of the world but a lot of the best stuff comes out of the USA & O/S its unfortunate that we find them hard to get here.

Although the Bradleys have a good name Im not a fan of having to buy their own pellets as you are locked into having to use their product, I would rather just buy & soak whatever woodchip I decide to use.

I also like a smoker that can be used either hot OR cold, as sometimes I like to make my own smoked ocean trout or salmon.

Master built & Smoke hallow pro are also good brands, just trying to find them here is a major pain at times!

Edited by kingie chaser

I have a Char-Griller Deluxe, Texan style barrel smoker/griller with the add-on side smoker box. $199 at Bunnings and $129 for the side box. I read a lot of reviews before I bought it and I’m very happy with it. Hardly ever use gas now. Grilling, roasting - it’s great. Build the fire in the side box and slow it right down - great smoky flavour and meat sooo tender and juicy! Yum! ? I’ve grilled and baked fish in it but haven’t smoked fish in yet. It would be more of a hot smoke than a cold smoke. Although I think I tend to put a bit too much charcoal in - I will have to try using less charcoal to get the heat down and lengthen the smoking process. I’m still learning.

Edited by Berleyguts