New reel for Lox iridium 12210

Toilor

After 15 years of using Tss4's on 4 wrap Wilson rods I have decided to enter the 21st century and move to braid.  I will be fishing 4 to 6 inch plastics, stickbaits and 40 to 65 grm metals on 30lb braid. I need a reel with a fast retrieve that can handle life on the rocks, under $400. I fish at least a couple of times a week so it will cop a fair flogging but I do look after my gear.  I've purchased the Lox iridium 12210 rated 6 to 10 kg  with casting weight of 60 to 100grm. Really keen to hear what fishos are using and recommending. Thank you in advance, Toilor.

That Lox is a sweet looking rod.

A Shimano Biomaster comfortably makes it into your price bracket, $268 at Dinga before you FR discount, are tough as nails and perfectly suited to what you want to use it for.

Being a 12 foot rod you may find an 8000 will balance better than a 5000 and hold a 300m spool of quality 30lb braid plus a fair lump of backing.

A mate has an 8000 Biomaster with 50lb braid and pulls some pretty impressive kings from the rocks down this way.

Edited by Green Hornet
Typo

Cheers gentlemen for your replies. Thinking I'll take the rod into the local tackle shop and whack a bioM and gosa on and see which one balances best. I'd like to try a Salina or Cedros but no Tackle shops seem to stock them which is a bit disappointing. 

Took the rod in to the tackle shop and tried all the above reels and found the saltist balanced the best, combined with a great price incl line and a few lures couldn't resist. 1st trip was a bit of a disaster with a 10cm yakka jagged on a 40 grm knight but the reel cast well and retrieved smoothly. Did notice that on flipping the bail after cast, line tended to lay over the spool occasionally so I'll have to check that each cast or potentially have a loop cause a knot.

• Like 1

Good to hear you got the reel sorted.

I have one of the early model Saltist 4500s and its served me well over the years.

I've developed a habit of pulling about 30cm of line off the reel every cast after tripping the bail on all my spin reels from light bream gear through to the heavy stuff and can't remember the last time I got a wind knot.