Easy FG knot video

Hunkgarian

Hi Raiders,

If you are capable of tying the above knot, ignore my post.  ?

Since getting back into fishing recently, many folks talked to me about using braid and a mono or FC leader. So I got some 6ib braid for my light spinning outfit and 6lb FC as leader. I searched on YouTube and Google and was baffled by the different ways of doing the infamous FG knot. I always used locked blood knots previously with no other knot at al. Now I am no dummy, but trying to learn this bloody FG knot was doing my head in. Keep the line tight, step on the spool, do this, do that, you probably know what I mean. So many things to keep in mind.

Then just by sheer chance I came across a video by an American angler and as I watched it then paused intermittently, I successfully tied my first very good quality FG knot. A bit of a light bulb moment. Nevertheless, he does not tighten the lines and the method seems easy enough for a newcomer to FG like me. I hope some of you may find this video useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQmUN0L4F6c

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting the video. I will have a go at doing it his way, just to compare with the way that I always tie it. It is definitely a knot worth learning especially if you do a lot of casting of lures. Cheers, bn

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Amatteroflight said:

I think my problem is that I am trying this with very thin lines. Most videos seem to use heavy lines, which I guess would make the job somewhat easier? 

Spot on. 

I ended up paying ~$40 for a Knot Assist 2.0. Best $40 I've ever spent

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Amatteroflight said:

I think my problem is that I am trying this with very thin lines. Most videos seem to use heavy lines, which I guess would make the job somewhat easier? 

It's not a good option with a thin leader material. I use 30lb braid and leader. I wouldn't use it with less than say 15lb leader because the braid bites into the leader material. bn      MY OPINION.

5 minutes ago, big Neil said:

It's not a good option with a thin leader material. I use 30lb braid and leader. I wouldn't use it with less than say 15lb leader because the braid bites into the leader material. bn      MY OPINION.

Thanks Big Neil.

What knot would you recommend in that instance? TIA (Thanks In Advance)

20 minutes ago, Amatteroflight said:

Thanks Big Neil.

What knot would you recommend in that instance? TIA (Thanks In Advance)

Only a few options really IMO. Best to least...

5 turn Surgeons Loop (used by Stewy)

Alberto Knot

Double Uni

They all have good and bad points. I seldom use light leader material, but have used all of these in the past. bn

• Thanks 1

I use the FG down to 3lb with ~30 wraps. Any knot failures usually occur on the knot at the lure end. I wont use any other knot now. Previously used the double uni, but the strength and thinness just don't compare to the FG

1 hour ago, BuckWild said:

I use the FG down to 3lb with ~30 wraps. Any knot failures usually occur on the knot at the lure end. I wont use any other knot now. Previously used the double uni, but the strength and thinness just don't compare to the FG

How do you tie it with 3lb? I use it with 20lb but when I tie it, in the last pulling step when you pull the braid and and leader  mainline to do the final tighten I find I  need pull quite hard to give a tight knot. How does the 3lb not break??

Richard

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

How do you tie it with 3lb? I use it with 20lb but when I tie it, in the last pulling step when you pull the braid and and leader  mainline to do the final tighten I find I  need pull quite hard to give a tight knot. How does the 3lb not break??

Richard

I use the knot assist 2.0 tool. See my previous post

6 hours ago, BuckWild said:

I agree that it's great when you need a low profile knot that assists casting with a baitcaster all day long. I am surprised that you use it on 3lb leader material, but with the additional wraps to distribute the "biting in effect" of the braid, it obviously works. Thanks for your input mate, we learn every day. bn

2 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

That knot assist looks perfect for my fingers buckwild, where did you get it for $40 

I bought it off Plat. Currently selling for 4500Y but with current conversion rate its about AU$55 :(. If it makes you feel better, this is my 2nd one after I lost my first! Have a look on fleabay to see if they have it any cheaper

What's also good about this little tool, is that it folds up nicely to fit in your pocket/bag, and it ties well even on a windy day. I'm unco when it comes to tying knots but this tool makes it so easy. If I was to lose my 2nd one, I wouldnt hesitate buying a 3rd

Edited by BuckWild

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

I am surprised that you use it on 3lb leader material, but with the additional wraps to distribute the "biting in effect" of the braid, it obviously works.

My fishing is predominantly shorebased, and there are some spots where I have to lift my fish up about 1m (I dont carry a net) to bring it in. I've caught a few flatties on 3lb and the times I've lost them was when I've tried to lift them up. The breakage has always occured at the lure end. Same goes for when I'm snagged and need to bust myself off. Just use a few more wraps if you're fishing that light. 

23 hours ago, big Neil said:

What size lines are you using it with connico and how many wraps? I use 20 wraps on 30 lb braid /30 lb leader. Cheers, bn

I NB, I use it for all my leader knots since its so easy to do.

My set ups for my next big trip is

4lb braid to 6/8lb fluro

8lb braid to 10/15lb fluro

10lb braid to 15/ 20lb fluro

20lb braid to 20/30/50lb mono

50lb braid to 50/80/120lb mono

I havn't used a uni to uni, albright, alberto, improved alberto, bimini twist since a charger boat dude showed me this on the water.

21 hours ago, BuckWild said:

My fishing is predominantly shorebased, and there are some spots where I have to lift my fish up about 1m (I dont carry a net) to bring it in. I've caught a few flatties on 3lb and the times I've lost them was when I've tried to lift them up. The breakage has always occured at the lure end. Same goes for when I'm snagged and need to bust myself off. Just use a few more wraps if you're fishing that light. 

Good point. I don’t use the FG, but whatever joining knot you use, you want break offs to always be at the end. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2018 at 6:17 PM, big Neil said:

Thanks for posting the video. I will have a go at doing it his way, just to compare with the way that I always tie it. It is definitely a knot worth learning especially if you do a lot of casting of lures. Cheers, bn

Ok, so I've worked on tying the FG knot using my old method and the "loose line method" shown in the video and here's my considered opinion. Just to clarify for non-regular users of the FG knot I have been using a method where the knot is formed on TIGHT line. In the video, you come to a part where he pulls the leader through the braid wraps from 3-4 inches to 6 inches. He then pulls the lines taut and they slide prior to "biting in" and stopping. This doesn't happen when using the TIGHT line method. Towards the end of the video he trims the leader "down to about 1/16 inch. In my opinion this would impact on the line when retrieving through the eyes on the rod. In the TIGHT line process the leader is cut close and a series of half hitches are formed to "cover" the stubby end, leaving a much smoother knot to be retrieved through the eyes of the rod. I think that this issue could be easily solved by leaving enough braid to form 4-6 half hitches, before cutting the braid off and leaving the 1/4 of an inch. What do you think? Cheers, bn

I have been tying my fg knots sort of like this for years now never been able to tie it any other way, there's a few things i do different to the video. 1. i do at a minimum of 20-30 turns depending on what leader im using 2. i dont worry about pulling each turn down tight as i go, i do 8-10 turns with reasonable tension then work the knot back down to tighten it down on itself  3. i do at least 8 half hitches around both lines and the main line on its own and i trim that tag end way back, no reason to leave that much if you have tightened it down properly to start with

Just my 2 cents, never had a fg fail on me yet