Port Stephens- Brut snapper!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

I managed to sneak out this morning with the boy and headed straight to Broughton Island. Knowing the wind was going to kick up at midday, the plan was to put on as many casts as we could before 1030. 

Anyway, weneeded some wind for a drift and had a nice gust to push us along. I landed the first at a respectable 50cm and then the boy came up tight on a 40 model and then another. The wind kept taking us on different drifts but we kept on working and Brando came up tight again but this time out did me with a nice 55cm snaps. 

I decided to change sps and put on a 7inch gulp called a garlicker. Now, the last time I used one I got smoked by a monster snapper and these lures only catch big fish.  As I was explaining this to my son, I pause on the line and bang zzzzzzz. This thing gave me some real stick but with a bit of teamwork onboard comes a nice 80cm plus snaps for our efforts! 

Called it a day after that and headed for home to beat the wind!!! 

A cold beer with lunch and the day just doesn’t get better than that! 

Cheers scratchie!!! FFF1A214-99F1-4DB6-A9B7-43881B626DF4.thumb.jpeg.342c54e7001d76be4869b5e00eb7d564.jpegF6C323B3-6765-45B5-B26E-0048D731C083.thumb.jpeg.bf2ad576ef291c34246f4e1fe1f4e179.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Great stuff, Jeff! So, the ramp was good after they bulldozed the sand off it yesterday? ? I’m dying to get out there - have just had a lot of things on lately. Hope to get out Monday or Tuesday, more likely Tuesday but swell looks like it’ll be 2-2.5m.?

Can't get any joy myself from actually fishing, at present. So it is great to read and see pics of you guys getting among them. Some very nice Snapper there guys and great job getting out there and back before the crappy weather hit. Top job, bn

3 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff, Jeff! So, the ramp was good after they bulldozed the sand off it yesterday? ? I’m dying to get out there - have just had a lot of things on lately. Hope to get out Monday or Tuesday, more likely Tuesday but swell looks like it’ll be 2-2.5m.?

Cheers baz! I know the feeling, it’s been a while for me too! The ramp was much better! 

2 hours ago, Rah said:

Awesome morning out!! 

Sure was!!!! 

2 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Great fish Jeff and the others certainly nothing to scoff about.

Thanks mate! Looking forward to scoffing the others too! :) 

1 hour ago, Ribs said:

That's a cracker bro, once again team Scratchie delivers. Well done boys ??

Cheers Craig! Always enjoy fishing with the team! 

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Can't get any joy myself from actually fishing, at present. So it is great to read and see pics of you guys getting among them. Some very nice Snapper there guys and great job getting out there and back before the crappy weather hit. Top job, bn

Thanks BN. Not a great feeling being landlocked. So you have to take the opportunities that present themselves! 

1 hour ago, Blood Knot said:

Awesome Jeff

Thanks

53 minutes ago, Welster said:

Now that’s a snapper! Well done 

Cheers! 

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Is there an option click the  "like"  button more than once for a post like that !!! What an absolute horse of a snapper......great work team Scratchie.

Haha, Cheers Sam! 

All on sps to mate! 

Nice one Jeff.

I bet the boy enjoyed himself out with the old man.

I like the part where you were explaining how you got smoked in the past and next minute you were on.

I must admit I am suffering a little Snapper Envy at the moment!

Cheers

Jim

39 minutes ago, fragmeister said:

Nice one Jeff.

I bet the boy enjoyed himself out with the old man.

I like the part where you were explaining how you got smoked in the past and next minute you were on.

I must admit I am suffering a little Snapper Envy at the moment!

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim.

No word of a lie, it was the call of the year! Literally 3 seconds after I said “these lures only catch big fish”. Bang yewww! 

42 minutes ago, Ledge said:

Nice one! Have read a few of your posts now and you definitely know how to catch snapper. How do you cook them?

Thanks ledge! I certainly put in my fair share of time for them! 

How do I cook them? 

Many different ways! That big boy ain’t getting cooked whole, it would take a month! Haha! 

Mainly crumbed and shallow fried. Or filleted, baked with ginger, garlic and shallots. Sometimes just real simple baked with salt/pepper and butter. Then I make a garlic cream sauce.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fragmeister said:

I love it...

Several thousand points out of 10 in the Dad's a Genious department!

Haha, sure was! He already thought I was a genius but that just proved it! Lol. 

Personally, I was just happy I beat his 55cm snaps he caught! Didn’t want to hear his banter all the way home but instead he got to listen to mine ?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Awesome snapper, 5 good keepers, up with the birds and back in time for a beer with lunch and you didn’t even get your hands dirty, pluse you trumped the young fella at the post, what a great session. Well done

Cheers! Love it when a plan comes together!