New Boat

Rebel

Hi All,

I would like to thank you all for your input, in helping to buy a new motor. The advice was really great and appreciated.

I bought a new Stacer 449 Seamaster with a 60hp 4 stroke yamaha. So far so good .Different to my old Haines 16C.

In finishing I would just like to say, I didn't realise my previous post would get out of hand, but the advice was good.

Donna, in one of your previous posts you commented, people come to Fishraider for information and that is what I did. I had no knowledge of the current outboard motors of today, but I do know thanks to the help of the people on this Forum.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Rebel very glad you find fishraider helpful. 

Raiders are a great bunch generally. They are all passionate about their sport and sometimes we even agree to disagree :)

Raider spirit lives on here in this community and that is why it is special. Good work raiders!

Now cant wait to read about your adventures and great captures in the near future ;)

• Like 2

Hi All,

I just want to add, Paddy T nailed it when he said I am not going to sea with a motor ( etec ) that was serviced 299 hours ago. I know what you are going to say, I can get it serviced earlier, but the gurus say 300 hours.

Great Forum & Great People.

Cheers.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Hi All,

I just want to add, Paddy T nailed it when he said I am not going to sea with a motor ( etec ) that was serviced 299 hours ago. I know what you are going to say, I can get it serviced earlier, but the gurus say 300 hours.

Great Forum & Great People.

Cheers.

Well why would it need servicing before 300 hrs? Long life spark plugs, no belts to adjust or sump oil to change etc. Especially when there is nothing stopping you doing minor servicing and inspections such as removing the prop and regreasing/ checking for fishing line.  

On 8/14/2018 at 5:31 PM, kingfishbig said:

Well why would it need servicing before 300 hrs? Long life spark plugs, no belts to adjust or sump oil to change etc. Especially when there is nothing stopping you doing minor servicing and inspections such as removing the prop and regreasing/ checking for fishing line.  

At the end of the day it’s each owners choice what they do.   For me if I’m planning on keeping something a while I think there are benefits in changing oils sooner.   On a new one I’d change the gearcase oil after the first  50 hrs and annually or maybe two years.   

But as you say the plugs and that I’d leave to closer to the 300hrs. 

Anyway the most important thing is Rebel has made the choice, has his boat and will be out on the water where we all should be more often.

Hi Welster,

Well said. I owned Taxis a long time ago. With drivers on seven days a week they would do 3000 ks a week plus. I used to service them every two weeks. When they had done 600,0000 ks I would buy a new car. Never had to change a motor ever.

Service is the key to anything what ever it may be.

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Hi Welster,

Well said. I owned Taxis a long time ago. With drivers on seven days a week they would do 3000 ks a week plus. I used to service them every two weeks. When they had done 600,0000 ks I would buy a new car. Never had to change a motor ever.

Service is the key to anything what ever it may be.

Cheers

Hi Rebel

It goes without saying any motor will last a long time if properly serviced. 

Im still curious.......(only because you came back to take an unnecessary potshot at etecs). Did the 300 hrs no service required offer by evinrude push you towards another outboard brand???

Edited by GoingFishing

I didn't take a potshot at Etecs. I just did my homework and read what every body had to say and spoke to people at various boat ramps who had etecs and four strokes and went from there

• Like 1

good to see you made a decsion as i said a while ago all new outboards (all makes) have there pros and cons and if rigged correctly and propped right all makes will give you trouble free motoring.rigging is paramount on any new engine purchase regards dunc 333