Electric motor

Hansard

12 hours ago, Hansard said:

I'm looking to install an eclectic motor on my bow. Does anyone know if the front rails will get in the way?

IMG_2910.JPG

G'day Hansard. Yes, they will be in the way. There was a previous post on here where the same problem was presented. I think they had the rail altered and the mounting plate installed for the new electric motor. You should be able to find it by using the search facility. Good luck, bn

Guest Guest123456789

You can mount it on the port or starboard side aft of the rail near the cleat. You won’t need to cut the rail that way. I’d reinforce the 2mm plate that would hold the leccy to ensure the bolts don’t rip trough in swell/at speed 

Here's something for you to think about, why not mount the lecky on the transom of the boat where motors usually fit ?. Nobody does it, but I done it to my Brooker just to see what it was like, took up a corner of the rear where I would normally have a rod holder or down rigger but these could be mounted elsewhere, the benefits of rear mount leckies is battery at the rear and you can drive right up to snags and overhanging branches without hitting the prop etc, and drive the boat onto the trailer using the electric motor .

And it's different !!.

Frank

• Like 2

I was thinking about just buying one and seeing were it would best fit.

Frank, I like the idea of mounting it near the transom but I would like a bit of weight up the front to keep the nose down when solo.

Does anyone have recommendations for shaft length and lbs of thrust? 

I have a oldish style 54lb Motorguide with 40 inch ( 1 metre ) shaft, On a 4.3 older style Brooker . It does the job on most situations but can struggle against fast current and wind. It does most jobs I want.

The newer electrics are so far advanced of my old unit it would be unfair to compare.

Frank

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:19 AM, fragmeister said:

This how mine is mounted. ( the fishing rod isn't part of it lol)

The box is so that the cut off rail has somewhere to join to.

IMG_0627.thumb.JPG.4ddf4bacda17a67e4f3137505e9b9a29.JPG

IMG_0401.thumb.JPG.e741fcef569b1db388fde8539fb53d29.JPG

Jim. Have you had the chance to test out the downrigger bomb yet ?.

Frank

Edited by frankS

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks good! Is there a plate between the hull and motor?

What Motorguide model is it? I'm about to hit the "add to cart" button on a 24v 80-lb 60" shaft and I guess I want to make sure I get a good deal before committing. I'm about to go through what you have just completed and just waiting for the bits to arrive..

Cheers,

TC.

Hi TC, no plate between motor and hull but I think you can buy a quick release plate for them. The pack came with bolts (extra long) and rubber gromets. I ended up putting some aluminium square tubing under the hull and bolting through that for extra strength. Mine is a 12volt 55lb 54" 

You won't regret your purchase!

On 1/17/2019 at 8:51 PM, Hansard said:

Hi TC, no plate between motor and hull but I think you can buy a quick release plate for them. The pack came with bolts (extra long) and rubber gromets. I ended up putting some aluminium square tubing under the hull and bolting through that for extra strength. Mine is a 12volt 55lb 54" 

You won't regret your purchase!

I'll second that!

I've got a 12v 55lb model and they're awesome! It makes you think how you lived without one before.

• Like 1

Hi mate, I have a 420 topender getting an elec motor mount fabricated now. The LHS rail had to be modified (shortened), and the fwd most part removed, with a rubber plug being fitted after painting. Gets painted tomorrow, and the brand new minn kota mounted as well. The bow cleat also had to be modified to ensure the rope doesn't tangle with the elec motor. Looks good. Painted photos on Friday.

PSX_20190123_210057.jpg

• Like 1

Either through the anchorwell, or on top. Bought all the gear for the casting deck, just trying to iron out the configuration....can't rush these things. Luckily there's more than enough room for the 160amp battery & box, right up the front. That will leave enough room for esky.

PSX_20190128_221454.jpg

• Like 2