Winter squid

nutsaboutfishing

So we left the ramp at 6:15 for a dedicated squid fish. And it was FREEZING. Got to one of the spot and cast for about 15   min and nothing we were casting a rod each and each had a sleeper rod as well, but the wind was pretty low so not much drift so the sleepers weren't getting hit.

As the wind picked up so did the squid. This winter we seem to be getting a lot of aircraft carrier size squid, but today 12 small to medium only. At one point my friend had a double hook up with his active and sleeper rod going off. I left my casting lure out while I helped him reel one of his  in, no sooner had I done so then the lure that  I had  just left out hooked up as well. In the end it was about 50% catch to the sleepers and 50% to the casting rods

One the way home we put the squid in a bag like a whiting scaler bag and towed to  for a few km, seems to clean the squid about 55%, but gets rid of all the ink in the process. Unfortunately we lost a few of the heads from the bag, so next time will just have to catch bigger squid. Oh well we live and learn.

Got home, they were great in the Fog Dog batter, why is it so hard to get a hold of??

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

• Like 4