Starting the Boat Journey

connico

OK Guys, I'm starting the boat journey and my first question is about the towing! I am looking at boats between 3.8m-4.5m to fit three blokes comfortably.

The family currently has an 2017 outback with a towing capacity of 2,700 lbs. Does anyone have an 2017 outback that they use to tow and what kind of boats do you guys have? Looking for examples so I know what I'm looking for.

And yes i've looked at websites that show me how to calculate the maximum towing capacity of my car but that does not mean much when I don't really know how much a boat and trailer typically weights.

What’s the Australian spec day for towing? Which outback model do you have?

i have older outback, with the bigger motor to capacity is 1800kgs. I tow a 5m Quintrex that’s 1200kgs

Edited by raging

Probably the first thing to consider is the spec towing weights usually refer to a braked trailer, the trailer for the boat size you are looking at will not have brakes. 2nd tow weights are far over exaggerated and towing anywhere near the max tow weights would be pretty hairy in most cases to be comfortable with, alright if everything goes smooth and nothing gets in your way, driving doesn't usually go like that.

The boat trailer combo fully loaded with fuel, anchor chain etc and esky and fishing gear would probably be well under 1000 kg so pretty well anything that would normally be said to be suited as a tow vehicle would do the job.

Come around to my place and have a chat and I will talk it through with you.

Frank

Don't forget a braked trailer must be inspected each year for rego, not a big deal you say but when it comes around it's always a hassle to get the trailer to the inspection station, and a extra 35 bucks a year.

A boat your size doesn't require brakes unless you overload it. But if you feel safer with braked trailer, that's your call.

I have a 4.3 Brooker here we could load it up with some weight and throw it on the back of your car and you could drive it for a while to get used to it. It would probably weigh around 600kg's .

Frank

PS you don't need an appointment just drop in.

Edited by frankS

ahaha Ok ill come by Saturday with the kids if you don't mind lol. 4.3 Brooker... was looking at one of these used with a front console! Can't believe its only 600kg? wow Outback can tow 750kg unbraked so it only gets better and better..

In NSW maximum unbreaked towing weight is 750kg- full stop. If it is heavier than that- and dont listen to boat salesmen or the internet- go well under your maximum towing capacity. Because your boat will have add ons - fuel, gear spare tyre etc etc. Which all adds up. Your first question though- 3 blokes (unless they are jockeys )will not be comfortable in a 3.8M tinny, a 4.5M will be OK for inside/calm waters depending on the style of fishing you wish to do- tell us a bit more about what you want to do and then a bit more help will be forthcoming. Also buy a boat that suits the majority of its usage, dont listen to the wife when she wants canopies/toilets/leather upholstered doosiewhatsits when she will only come on the boat once a year.

• Thanks 1

The boat will be used for two things hopefully

1. Estuary fishing chasing bream and flathead

2. Fishing headlands and within bays and inlets.

I am leaning towards a 4.3 / 4.5 with a front or centre console on a braked trailer.

Might have to try a few boats out I guess. Anyone know a place that rents boats on trailers for a week? :)

Edited by connico

Ok cool, side or center console the way to go, gives you allround casting and minimal crap in the way. Have a look at the upperend of the size in any of the name brands- also have a look at TABS (i have a 5.4 CC) Formosa etc especially 2 nd hand- these are "semi" plate boats and are well made. With a side console you drive sitting down (which I hate, especially at sea) , CC you can leave the seats out and have less clutter (I am a bit biased to CC"s)LOts of options out there- go fishing with someone who has a side console and then with a CC , see what suits you.

3 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Ok cool, side or center console the way to go, gives you allround casting and minimal crap in the way. Have a look at the upperend of the size in any of the name brands- also have a look at TABS (i have a 5.4 CC) Formosa etc especially 2 nd hand- these are "semi" plate boats and are well made. With a side console you drive sitting down (which I hate, especially at sea) , CC you can leave the seats out and have less clutter (I am a bit biased to CC"s)LOts of options out there- go fishing with someone who has a side console and then with a CC , see what suits you.

I think Formosa have a fully plate option in "offshore" series which is pretty good value for money.

To help you get a gauge on sizes I have a 6.2m Yellowfin and the total weight on a breaked trailer is approx 1630kg

Hull  990kg

Motor + steering 230kg

Trailer 160kg

Fuel 100kg

Gear say 150kg

If your budget permits and subject to your confirmed towing capacity you may be able to get a boat in the 5m range if that suits you. The extra space will be useful especially if you want to fish headlands/coast with 3 ppl onboard.

8 hours ago, raging said:

Bow rider - quintrex freedom sport 490

Bow rider is a good option for an all rounder in my opinion.   One fish from the front and two from the back.   We had a 5.3 freedom sport, I don’t know how heavy but I’m pretty confident the Subaru will tow it.   I use to tow it with my 2.4l hiace van no problem.  My current boat is a 5.7m stacer bowrider with 150hp.  If I bought another boat I’d go bigger again.

I had 3.85 quintrex explorer fully fitted out with cast decks, these are rock solid light weight fishing weapons. That's 3.85m of beamy usable deck space where almost everything we didn't need fitted into hatches under the casting deck.

I used the boat regularly offshore around Montague island with three adults and 6 dive tanks and gear as well as family fishing trips.

Towing to Darwin was simply so easy you would forget it was behind. Camping close to croc rivers a medium sized dome tent fitted perfectly inside on the casting deck, keeping my three kids up away from croc danger. 

I would happily own another as it was such a good all round little boat but if I wanted to spoil myself I would up to a slightly bigger quintrex trophy but still try to keep it under the 750kg to avoid breaks and trailer rego.

I had a 3.8m tinnie previously and although fishing the estuaries was doable, it wasn't too comfortable, especially if it was choppy.

Now with a 4.55 Quintrex escape runabout, inshore fishing with 3 people is very comfortable. Fishing headlands and the close reefs is comfortable as well. 

I would recommend going for a boat around that 4.5m mark and the minimum i'd go is 4.2m,  Anything smaller would be uncomfortable with 3 people.

Also you do not need a safety inspections if the trailer is less than 250kg tare weight, regardless of whether it is braked or not. So the boats that you are looking would not need a safety check for rego.  https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/esafety-checks-pink-slips  

Guest Guest123456789

Definitely suggest your approach of going out in a few boats. As others suggested for 4 guys fishing headlands a 5 metre plus boat would be a lot better.

who are your three other companions? Be prepared for plenty of last minute cancellations (work and family commitments, too hungover etc) in which case you’ll be fishing mostly 2 guys or even by yourself more often. 

Also, given the new lock out laws taking effect all the good headlands and near shore reefs will be banned to fishing, meaning you’re probably better off with a smaller estuary only boat or a much larger boat that can go safely offshore.

After visiting and speaking to @frankS the boat will most likely be a bigger boat now. 4.5 - 5m would be the best bet. Looking at the new marine park planning proposal, it does not look that awful.

Regarding being locked out off headlands, some people seem to have misunderstood the markings and maps. There are only a couple of sanctuary zones (pink) and conservation zones (green) that will be locked off from both rec and commercial fishing. The blue zones which everyone is seeing red from will be fish able.