Bow rider pros,cons.

Fab1

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of selling my tinny in the future as per previous post.I've since found myself looking at all the different boats both in ally and glass on several sights with the choice for something used in the 20k or so range overwhelming.

I'm finding i keep reverting back to looking at bowriders more than any other type of boat as i would like the extra space/storage they seam to provide whilst still maintaining that runabout configuration.

As you guys know im not a die hard fisherman and just enjoy being out with the family for a fish,relaxing and exploring our waterways.

I wouod perhaps like to take my nieces and nephews out on a biscuit on occasions and try my hand at plastics fishing like most you guys seam to do.

My only requirment i must have is it fits in a standard garage.

Looking fwd to hearing peoples thoughts for my requirements as i know a few of you own them.

Cheers.

I have one.

In hindsight/if I wasn’t too lazy, I’d sell it for more of a fishing boat. I tend to take it out more for fishing than anything.

when the family comes out, the front does get used though, but only some of the time. Most of the time - they end up in the back out of the wind etc.

Looking at what you want to use it for - bow rider is a good choice.

I had the quintrex millennial hull 5.3 bowrider and and now have the Stacer 5.7 bowride. Of the two I much prefer the Stacer hull. 

Over about 5m they are both around 2.4 m wide so with a single garage door it could be a bit tight.

They are a great all rounder type boat but a bit of a compromise for anyone activity. 

The are good for a third or forth person to fish out of the front or just laze around.  I mostly only fish with two in the boat and thats where I put the esky. 

Good for anchoring access.

I generally have the Bimini on but they are much better with none as it tends to cut the boat into two parts.   

Fishing with two people the front doesn’t get used much unless casting lures or plastics, or it suits the way the boat is sitting.

Great style of boat on a nice day with the family as nobody ever wanted to sit in the half cabin style boats we had when I was young making it really hard to balance the boat underway with a few on board.

As the helm position is further aft there is less room in the back then a similar sized runabout so I would always get a bit bigger boat to compensate.

Another thing that’s handy is solo launching or even just beaching the boat as it’s so easy to walk through to the front or climb in the front and get to the back.

Same reasons as above

I have the Stacer 539.  (5.4m) and it’s a great all round boat, I’m not a hardcore fisherman and spend most of my time exploring and chasing Doulphins.

it has high side so I can go outside, that same as any centre / side console.

The front is great for lazy days watching the kids swim and my wife likes it for reading when anchored.

if you get a bow cover it makes them even more user friendly as my mate has one and it’s great at deflecting waves when he is out wide and creates a weather barrier when he sleeps on it in The Hawkesbury.

i like the bow rider

4 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Same reasons as above

I have the Stacer 539.  (5.4m) and it’s a great all round boat, I’m not a hardcore fisherman and spend most of my time exploring and chasing Doulphins.

The front is great for lazy days watching the kids swim and my wife likes it for reading when anchored.

if you get a bow cover it makes them even more user friendly as my mate has one and it’s great at deflecting waves when he is out wide and creates a weather barrier when he sleeps on it in The Hawkesbury.

i like the bow rider

I have the bow cover but only use it for road trips going away.    I have used it once on the water and didn’t like it.  

I did make a new piece for the casting platform floor, I hated how Stacer’s version left a big gap and the cold air rushes through the cockpit underway.  Even in the warmer months the kids often sit between the driver and observer against the door wrapped in a towel to warm up.

its very rare we put the casting section floor down or remove it. 

Agree my kids do the same, the door should go lower.

i haven’t build a casting platform yet, and if i do I will get a cushion made up for it so it’s like a day bed. Which will give some storage underneath.

Edited by jeffb5.8

The middle cushion came with ours  I don’t have the cushions or back seat in on Fishing trips if there is only two going.  On my previous boat I made a ply box to fit to store an additional anchor.    This boat i tend to leave the clears and some other stuff under there and  access it from the cockpit side so I like the door not going to the floor.

The quintrex infill did go all the way to the door unlike the Stacer one.  When you make things for the boat you realise how asymmetrical the boat is.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, raging said:

Ive always assumed that was deliberate. If water comes over the bow it can drain out the back via the scuppers or bildge pump

That reminds me make sure you flush your bilge with fresh water when washing your boat, that way you know it works and isn’t full of Sand or Salt.

sorry OP for thenthread hijack but we are starting a Bowrider owners and modifiers appreciation group. ?

Edited by jeffb5.8
Spelling with a Cracked Sceen ha ha Bulge

1 hour ago, jeffb5.8 said:

That reminds me make sure you flush your bulge with fresh water when washing your boat, that way you know it works and isn’t full of Sand or Salt.

sorry OP for thenthread hijack but we are starting a Bowrider owners and modifiers appreciation group. ?

I always flush my Bulge :)

• Haha 2

Cheers guys,

All the points you guys mentioned I thought about along with it would be easy to set and retrieve anchor,sunbath nude out the front(Forget that part) etc.Don't worry about talking about modifying them guys as that door sounds like a pita and if I get one I'll be making my own too(Probably have what I need in the shed)lol.

Sounds like they meet my requirements and when the time comes my choice more than likely will be a bowrider or bigger runabout like the coast runners from Quinny or the Stacer variants.

Cheers.

22 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Same reasons as above

i like the bow rider

I have a half cab and the front half never gets used. When I have a bunch of people on I have to convince a couple to sit up the front on top of the cabin to level out the boat.  I like the idea of the bowrider with some kind of removable cover so you could still camp on it and still use it for protection on those windy/wavey days when there is only a couple of us out the back fishing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishop said:

I have a half cab and the front half never gets used. When I have a bunch of people on I have to convince a couple to sit up the front on top of the cabin to level out the boat.  I like the idea of the bowrider with some kind of removable cover so you could still camp on it and still use it for protection on those windy/wavey days when there is only a couple of us out the back fishing.

I wonder how many people actually use under the cab on a half cabin or cuddy cabin?I guess they'd come in handy for storage and a kip when tired if probably a little uncomfortable in the smaller sizes.

17 hours ago, Fishop said:

I like the idea of the bowrider with some kind of removable cover so you could still camp on it and still use it for protection on those windy/wavey days when there is only a couple of us out the back fishing.

I spoke to my local Boat cover guy about making a like a pop up tent, sort of cover using those flex poles with plastic tabs for the poles to push into around the bow and two on the windscreen along with the press studs to give me a bit of height and keep light rain of me. This wasn't for driving or stopping waves , just some protection from a breeze or light rain if fishing or doing a hair tail night.

Edited by jeffb5.8

On 8/16/2018 at 5:43 PM, Fab1 said:

I wonder how many people actually use under the cab on a half cabin or cuddy cabin?I guess they'd come in handy for storage and a kip when tired if probably a little uncomfortable in the smaller sizes.

The half cabin comes in very handy most of the time, though admittedly it does result in some lost space. Some half cabins are well designed and make efficient use of space whilst others waste alot of usable space unnecessarily.

The main benefits i get out of my cabin would be extra storage, weather protection, rest space. 

I would say overall a centre cab is by far my fav design. But those have their cons too!

• Like 1