Requesting urgent Help - Sydney

Fishoman123

Hi Guys!!

Long time reader, first time poster! :)

I have been fishing nearly all my life, and it is something I am quite passionate about and get to do usually two or three times a week.

As of late, I have been really cracking down on chasing my first land based Jew. I have been landing on a boat, and its not much of an issue, however land based I am really struggling to find them! What am I doing wrong?

I collect bait either the night before, and during my session, usually squid and yakkas. I throw them out live until they die, then fillet/strip bait when dead.

I do a lot of fishing in botany bay, and have tried fishing for them at cooks bridge too, but cant seem to find them land based. Got absolutely smoked at cooks bridge in late June, busted 30 pound braid on my twin power after a few good runs.

Anyway, I digress! just looking for any sort of tips regarding bait/rigs, but more so around some spot land based. Not asking for any top secret spots (Unless you would like to PM me, can definitely keep a secret!). Looking for spots around harbour, botany bay, some parts of george's (not too far west), and around Pittwater/spit bridge.

Definitely appreciate any sort of information that can help me tackle my first jew!! feel free to share knowledge for king/bonito spots during the day too. Nothing too dangerous, but happy to explore options and see where they lead!

tight lines fellas thanks a million!

SP

Welcome to the site as a poster, hope to see lots of reports etc from you in the near future.

Last land based Jew I caught in Sydney was at the north side of Tom Uglys bridge 82 cm  and that was back in 2006 prior to that it was Snapper point in central coast 96cm in 2002, I don't do a lot of shore fishing.

At Tom Uglys live bait just under the bridge east of the pylons and as close as you can get to the pylons.

If your really keen get a mate to walk your line up and partially across the bridge to the 2nd or 3rd pylon and drop the livey in close to pylon, this is best done using large bobby float and the mate can adjust the depth of the float before he drops the livey in. If plenty of time your mate could leave livey in water and drag it out to the right spot before releasing it.

Frank

• Like 1

Does anybody know if I can get jews fishing from Jew Fish point reserve in Oatley? looks ok, small park but not too sure if it holds fish. also, spit bridge land based? I got some squid on the marina side land based, was tempted to throw them out but current was roaring. Any spots near spit, or even tips for fishing land based form spit for jews or kings? thanks again guys

1 hour ago, Fishoman123 said:

Does anybody know if I can get jews fishing from Jew Fish point reserve in Oatley? looks ok, small park but not too sure if it holds fish. also, spit bridge land based? I got some squid on the marina side land based, was tempted to throw them out but current was roaring. Any spots near spit, or even tips for fishing land based form spit for jews or kings? thanks again guys

Wow! I just looked at Jewfish Point on Google Earth... it seems a lot more developed than I remember as a young teenager! The water looks a little shallow near that reserve - the deeper holes are just around the corner, upstream. Oatley Point might be worth a go. It’s a bit shallow there too but we used to ride our push bikes down there from Mortdale, hide them in the bushes and climb out to the rocky “island” on the point and fish through the night (smoking and drinking - shh... don’t tell Mum! ?). I never managed a big jew but we did get a few soapies and the odd schoolie back in the day. Live baits are good but don’t rule out the big blue tailed king prawns... a gun jew fisherman I used to fish with as a kid, would drive from Connells Point to Sydney fish markets to buy his king prawns - he caught a lot of jew. ?

I also forgot to mention near the Como Bridge.

Edited by Berleyguts

5 hours ago, Fishoman123 said:

Hi Guys!!

Long time reader, first time poster! :)

I have been fishing nearly all my life, and it is something I am quite passionate about and get to do usually two or three times a week.

As of late, I have been really cracking down on chasing my first land based Jew. I have been landing on a boat, and its not much of an issue, however land based I am really struggling to find them! What am I doing wrong?

I collect bait either the night before, and during my session, usually squid and yakkas. I throw them out live until they die, then fillet/strip bait when dead.

I do a lot of fishing in botany bay, and have tried fishing for them at cooks bridge too, but cant seem to find them land based. Got absolutely smoked at cooks bridge in late June, busted 30 pound braid on my twin power after a few good runs.

Anyway, I digress! just looking for any sort of tips regarding bait/rigs, but more so around some spot land based. Not asking for any top secret spots (Unless you would like to PM me, can definitely keep a secret!). Looking for spots around harbour, botany bay, some parts of george's (not too far west), and around Pittwater/spit bridge.

Definitely appreciate any sort of information that can help me tackle my first jew!! feel free to share knowledge for king/bonito spots during the day too. Nothing too dangerous, but happy to explore options and see where they lead!

tight lines fellas thanks a million!

SP

Im in a similar boat to you fishoman but Im trying to catch both a legal king & a legal jew out of the same areas so I will be watching with interest.

Cant offer any advice other that be persistent & keep trying, that's me anyway.

Although knowledge is a key factory when it comes to both these species a little luck goes a long way & what bait or artificials will work one day wont work the next & of course you have to find or happen upon them.

Proof was in the pudding one day when my mate caught a legal jew on a tiny Hawkesbury prawn out of my tinny in the lower Georges one day.

I guess that's why they call it fishing & not catching as someone says!

Hi mate,

Ive caught loads of mulloway fishing landbased in the Georges River.  Largest landbased ive caught is 93cm in about 4m of water using live yakkas (about 7km upstream of CC bridge - hint hint).  Its not a secret spot, and is known, but i wouldnt say it is printed on any maps or the like.  

I tend to stay away from the more known spots, I have tried most, and usually see the gangs there catching sweet FA and generally have not caught many when others are fart arsing around nearby.  Half the time if people are fishing where I really want to fish these days, i count my losses, dump my bait and head back home......i drive from campbelltown to the hacking to gather my bait, then back to the georges and if people are there i dump the bait and head home as I know i wont catch anything.

In my early days - maybe 6 or 7 years ago - I began specifically targeting them.  Look, mulloway are no easy target, lots of things you have to get right to produce results, but keep at it and results will come.......and keep a diary too.   Get 10 or so results and fish the same tides/moon phases.  Get 20 -30 results and a pattern starts to emerge.  Hit 50 odd results and you should be able to say ive got a 80% chance of a result.  These days, I feel pretty confident.  Have taken a few raiders out and got them onto their first, two of which was their first time solely targeting them.  One of said two scored a 90something cm.......i was holding my breath since my largest from the system has been only 108cm.

Ive used squid i have caught and snap frozen(some of which have been 6 months old) , i have used fresh squid(self caught of course),  live yakkas, live mullet, live herring, live tailor(yes legal size), dead baits like butterflied yakka, mullet or tailor.  Funnily enough never caught a single mulloway on a slab bait yet though - but i do keep persisting.

I began those years ago by targeting them on the slack water parts of the tides, that produced results for me.  Both high and low tides slack water.  Then i started fishing an hour or so either side, that also produced results.  I now fish a full tide run in or out and results still come.  Also on a half tide....ie the middle of the run in or out I have caught them.  I generally nowadays dont fish the tides, i fish by dates really.....so the diary helps immensely.  I cant emphasise enough about a mulloway diary.

You say you have caught them from a boat, so why not try the same tide phase/moon phase landbased nearby.   Mulloway do hole up and yes you will get them time and time again from the same hole, but they use the tides to move up and down a river system also, sometimes feeding along the way should an opportunity present itself - like my bait hahaha.  Mulloway do hunt, so if your nearby to one of your boat spots, your in with a shot when your landbased really.

I use my boat alot and have caught many.....but sometimes i dont want to take my boat out so i do go landbased a fair bit also and still catch them - even though im casting nowhere near where I anchor up.

PM me if you would like a little more info

Mick

Edited by mii11x
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 12:45 PM, frankS said:

Welcome to the site as a poster, hope to see lots of reports etc from you in the near future.

Last land based Jew I caught in Sydney was at the north side of Tom Uglys bridge 82 cm  and that was back in 2006 prior to that it was Snapper point in central coast 96cm in 2002, I don't do a lot of shore fishing.

At Tom Uglys live bait just under the bridge east of the pylons and as close as you can get to the pylons.

If your really keen get a mate to walk your line up and partially across the bridge to the 2nd or 3rd pylon and drop the livey in close to pylon, this is best done using large bobby float and the mate can adjust the depth of the float before he drops the livey in. If plenty of time your mate could leave livey in water and drag it out to the right spot before releasing it.

Frank

That's great advice Frank.

Going back probably 40 years ago that was a spot my dad and I used to fish regularly and we did exactly what you just recommended.

While we did catch mainly schoolies we also ended up with quite a few jews close to the metre mark.

Cheers

Jim