Port hacking fishin

Fischerfishin

Hello fellow raiders 

My names josh and I’m from the Sutherland Shire south Sydney. Just after a few tips on fishing the port hacking and even the Georgers river. 

First an introduction to myself, I’m 19 and have recently been getting more serious about fishing. My lure setup is a Shimano cazna with 10pound Berkeley fireline with 16 pound fc rock leader, on a Shimano sss graphite 662 spin rod 3-5kg. Medium setup is a Shimano stradic 4000 with 20p j braid 4 strand with 30pound black magic leader on a 2-4kg daiwa saltist rod. And my heavy serup is a penn 750 with 30 pound penn mono on a 5-10kg penn Mariner rod. 

Not sure if it’s just winter fishing but really been struggling on hooking up to much recently. The places I’ve mainly been fishing from my 3.7m tinny are Jibbon Beach, the hole in South West arms, infront of the sailing club in buraneer bay and around salmon haul, and ofcourse dropping a line here and there. The best I’ve done recently was a 65cm tailor at shark island and a 70 cm salmon out at botany but that’s about it for legal fish in the past 4 months. Just after some tips from some people who know the river abit better as I’ve only had my tinny for about a month and have no clue where the best place to drop a line is. The main baits I use are fresh squid, mullet fillet and pillies. And a range of soft plastics and lures. 

The main fish I would like to target are kingfish, jewfish, Flathead and salmon. 

I’ve been putting in as much effort and time as I can even going out sometimes 4 times a week but still struggling to get some decent fish. 

If anyone has any spots they would be able to share or tips on targeting these fish it would be much appreciated. 

Also been struggling to get onto some squid aswell so some tips on that would be great.

Thanks in advance and happy fishing ?

Hi Josh

Welcome to FR. Winter fishing can be hard going. Im sure some raiders will share some marks with you but seemingly your in the right areas but need to reconsider your method.

Sounds like you have recently got into boat fishing which is awesome..thats a whole new type of fishing and a steep learning curve....i remember when i first started fishing from boats i went a good 2 months before i started to get any "real" results. Theres alot to consider when fishing on a boat.

It would be helpful if you can shed some light on how you have been fishing... are you anchoring and berleying or drifting? How are you setting up your tackle? Etc

Hi Josh & welcome aboard.

Yowie is the Port Hacking guru but think he is on tour atm but you could send him a PM & he may get back to you in the near future.

I fish the hacking every now & then in my 13ft tinny & don't think I have ever bought a legal fish home as yet so I find it much more trickier than botany & the Georges.

Caught plenty of fish at times but nothing even worth putting on the brag mat except a 5kg puffa fish but I wouldn't brag about that ?

Kings have been caught in the hacking but like BB its a matter of luck more often than not.

I think a lot of people that have success in PH take the time to do things like pump nippers & collect live bait with bream, squire & whiting probably the main target in most cases.

I have seen plenty a nice sized whiting on the sand & in the lily pilli channel but never been able to land one on any lure or dead baits.

My mate caught a nice salmon once off the wharf at Gymea baths & there are occasionally kings up there as well

I would also suggest using the search tab on the top of the page as you would use google, there are a lot of threads in here with good info(plenty from Yowie!).

Good luck.

To be honest I’m not quite familiar with my hook and sinker sizes but usually i anchor up, only just gotten into mushing some pillies up for burley and chucking them in a burley bucket. But as for setting up my tackle usually a medium sized sinker to a swivel. Then about a meter of mono to my hook and just dropping it to the bottom. I also want to start using some live bait such as yakkas and slimey makarel to see if that can get me into something bigger. I did buy a Lowrance hook2 4x gps fishfinder about 2 weeks ago  but not sure how accurate it is seeing as it’s cheap and it says there’s fish underneath but nothing biting. Does anyone have any experience with this fishfinder and find it’s pretty accurate? 

Thanks 

8 hours ago, Fischerfishin said:

To be honest I’m not quite familiar with my hook and sinker sizes but usually i anchor up, only just gotten into mushing some pillies up for burley and chucking them in a burley bucket. But as for setting up my tackle usually a medium sized sinker to a swivel. Then about a meter of mono to my hook and just dropping it to the bottom. I also want to start using some live bait such as yakkas and slimey makarel to see if that can get me into something bigger. I did buy a Lowrance hook2 4x gps fishfinder about 2 weeks ago  but not sure how accurate it is seeing as it’s cheap and it says there’s fish underneath but nothing biting. Does anyone have any experience with this fishfinder and find it’s pretty accurate? 

Thanks 

For starters I can’t say I have figured out the Hacking with any sort of consistency.

if you are burleying at anchor I think it would pay to have your burley drifting towards structure and also have a lightly weighted it unweighted bait feeding out into the trail.

Dont overdo the hook size as there are plenty of leather jackets in the Hacking that are good eating. A paternoster rig with heavier leader and tiny baits  would be the go for them. 

In the clear waters of the Hacking a rod length leader in a lighter size say 6lb might help.  

With the sounder make sure it isnt in demo mode.   Turn off the fish ID feature and try to learn to read and use it. It’s not just for finding fish but finding drop off and holes to fish. 

Edited by Welster

18 hours ago, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

Was down at Gymea baths today and Sydney Water had signs up saying no swimming and fishing due to possible sewage contamination (they're currently testing the water). Has anyone else seen this? I was down there on Monday and no such signs.

I was at lilli pilli baths today and got only one squid. Luckily I throttled the idea of going to Gymea bay...