OZZIE Salmon

Bryson

Hey raiders, been a few sessions of late without anything to report but still made the effort to go out tonight before the wind picks up. 

Went to maroubra at about 7pm with no preparation just my surf rod and servo pillies in the hope of feeling a bend in the rod. 

Tried a spot in the middle of the beach at what I hoped was a gutter but not a touch in an hour so walked to the south end by the rocks as a mate said he's had success there in the past and again nothing, told the mrs I'd be home empty handed again And started to walk back up the beach towards where I was parked. Obviously as a fisherman i had to have one last cast..... which resulted in my rod crashing over but no hook up, so a text to the mrs saying one more last last cast.... then bang I was on, put a serious bend in the rod and could see the fish jumping out, adrenaline was pumping! Got it in and was over the moon with a 63cm salmon! Wish I could have stayed and caught some more but had to get home. 

Over the moon to have a bend back in the rod ????IMG_2350.thumb.JPG.cf40887417a4336170d3c7b96aa4e15e.JPGIMG_2347.thumb.JPG.e284eb6ba62e7c685a67ee49482f161a.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, masterfisho7 said:
1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Good feeling loadin up the rod on a fish  now u need to go back for more   take the missus then u dont have to go home...rick

That used to be the case but we became parents and that's put a temporary block on that, at least till she's old enough to hold her own rod haha

Salmon are great for fish cakes but the fillets are also good if you remove the blood line, it's a good idea to do this for fish cakes too. Also if you fish after dark targetting jews, salmon and tailor fillets make excellent bait.

If you haven't filleted and removed the blood line before there's a bit showing how about 6.30 mins into this video I made a few years back catching salmon with the kids.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, JonD said:

Salmon are great for fish cakes but the fillets are also good if you remove the blood line, it's a good idea to do this for fish cakes too. Also if you fish after dark targetting jews, salmon and tailor fillets make excellent bait.

If you haven't filleted and removed the blood line before there's a bit showing how about 6.30 mins into this video I made a few years back catching salmon with the kids.

That was a good watch, looked like a great day fishing.... and very helpful with the bloodline. Thanks for the advise much appreciated ??

13 hours ago, JonD said:

Impressive catch rate !

23 hours ago, Bryson said:

Hey raiders, been a few sessions of late without anything to report but still made the effort to go out tonight before the wind picks up. 

Went to maroubra at about 7pm with no preparation just my surf rod and servo pillies in the hope of feeling a bend in the rod. 

Tried a spot in the middle of the beach at what I hoped was a gutter but not a touch in an hour so walked to the south end by the rocks as a mate said he's had success there in the past and again nothing, told the mrs I'd be home empty handed again And started to walk back up the beach towards where I was parked. Obviously as a fisherman i had to have one last cast..... which resulted in my rod crashing over but no hook up, so a text to the mrs saying one more last last cast.... then bang I was on, put a serious bend in the rod and could see the fish jumping out, adrenaline was pumping! Got it in and was over the moon with a 63cm salmon! Wish I could have stayed and caught some more but had to get home. 

Over the moon to have a bend back in the rod ????IMG_2350.thumb.JPG.cf40887417a4336170d3c7b96aa4e15e.JPGIMG_2347.thumb.JPG.e284eb6ba62e7c685a67ee49482f161a.JPG

Great work landing that sambo....im not a big fan of aussie salmon for eating but taste can be very subjective.

For instance my favourite eating fish is flathead and id much prefer that over snapper or bream for instance.

2 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Great work landing that sambo....im not a big fan of aussie salmon for eating but taste can be very subjective.

For instance my favourite eating fish is flathead and id much prefer that over snapper or bream for instance.

I tend to release most fish I catch, normally because I've already eaten or have dinner planned but have had trevally whiting and now salmon that I've caught and whiting is easily my fave. I did take a flathead home once but messed the filleting up so bad that I had to throw it away and felt terrible about it. 

4 hours ago, Bryson said:

I did take a flathead home once but messed the filleting up so bad that I had to throw it away and felt terrible about it. 

That's a shame but if you mess up the filleting again a suggestion would be as long as the fish is gutted to put it in the steamer & cook it whole(or parts of) then let it cool down & carefully take all the meat of the frame & skin/de bone it.

Mix it with a little good mayo, chopped dill or parsley(if desired) & seasoning & throw it on a nice fresh crusty roll with some sort of lettuce or even get a nice serving glass & put the lettuce in the bottom & put the fish mix in & garnish, you have a nice little entrée.

No need to throw it away mate, something can generally be salvaged in some way & still enjoyed. :biggrinthumb: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I normally only use salmon for fish cakes (love ‘em!) but years ago, my son and his mate were fishing off Nelson Bay coop jetty and a pro gave them a decent sized salmon each. “Tell your mum you caught them”, he said. He even threw them to them so they could catch them and not have to lie. Anyway, we made fish cakes out of the one my son had but his friend’s Mum, who is a Singaporean Chinese, wrapped his in foil with lemon juice, herbs and chilli etc. and popped it in the oven. It wasn’t half bad and fed a heap of us. ?

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1