squid fishing jervis bay, nsw

jemal

just wondering what colour squid jigs have worked the best for you in Jervis bay, nsw. as I am not sure what colour jigs to purchase for the upcoming trip to jervis bay and would appreciate any help 

I haven’t squid fished in JB.   But as with most places the go is probably having a variety and hoping for the best.    Reds, orange, pilchard look, black, yellow, white, green, maybe cedar and others have all worked for me at different times. 

I only use these two Yamashita jigs in the “glow “ range, never failed yet, not saying other colours won’t work though. Plantation point is a good starting point, move about small distances until you find them. Many other locations throughout the bay, look for the weed and kelp. 

EF9429A9-1BC7-4317-A0B6-43D6D0173863.jpeg

The top jig has had a hard time from beaks, but still catches them. 

Edited by Billmack

You won't like this answer but it is my experience down there. I have caught them on all colours there at different times. In saying that i have had days down there where they would only hit one particular jig and nothing else, until i cast it off because of a wind knot and then they hit nothing. I think you are better off having a jig in each size moreso than one in each colour as getting depth/sink rate right for your drift is the most important thing. Whenever i pull up anywhere i always start with a white sparkly jig (lumo or white base) on one rod and a dark natural jig (red or gold under foil) on the other. I only give each jig  a couple of casts or one or two drifts each and then change them one at a time if they don't get hit. I do like natural green colours and golds better than bright pink/orange but use everything at some point. This advice is relevant for everywhere. 

JB specific i would advise against using a scented spray like egimax until you have confirmed that there are no leatherjackets around or they will eat all of the cloth off the jig if you are lucky and bite the jig off at the leader if you are unlucky, either way you lose a good jig. If your rod tip is bouncing a bit like a fish bite, nibble or peck then wind in quickly as you are probably being jacketed. You have to move to a far away spot, they will find you if you don't move far enough..

Beware of Green Zones down there as there are a few around the main squid spots.

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:38 AM, mtlg said:

I mostly go with more colourful jigs during the day (pink, orange) and never fail to find squid, but I have also caught them there with the greenish and greyish colours as above.

what size jig would you recommend 2.5 or size 3?

2 hours ago, Captain Spanner said:

You won't like this answer but it is my experience down there. I have caught them on all colours there at different times. In saying that i have had days down there where they would only hit one particular jig and nothing else, until i cast it off because of a wind knot and then they hit nothing. I think you are better off having a jig in each size moreso than one in each colour as getting depth/sink rate right for your drift is the most important thing. Whenever i pull up anywhere i always start with a white sparkly jig (lumo or white base) on one rod and a dark natural jig (red or gold under foil) on the other. I only give each jig  a couple of casts or one or two drifts each and then change them one at a time if they don't get hit. I do like natural green colours and golds better than bright pink/orange but use everything at some point. This advice is relevant for everywhere. 

JB specific i would advise against using a scented spray like egimax until you have confirmed that there are no leatherjackets around or they will eat all of the cloth off the jig if you are lucky and bite the jig off at the leader if you are unlucky, either way you lose a good jig. If your rod tip is bouncing a bit like a fish bite, nibble or peck then wind in quickly as you are probably being jacketed. You have to move to a far away spot, they will find you if you don't move far enough..

Beware of Green Zones down there as there are a few around the main squid spots.

do you lose many jigs there getting snagged?

and also what size jig do you recommend for jb?

Most of the places we fish will have ribbon weed on the bottom and be 2.5-5m deep so the jigs should tear through it if you pull smoothly enough (i fish 10lb braid and leader) there are times where you will lose it no matter what. If you are land based then you can fish lighter jigs as you do not have to combat drift speed. I would have a couple of size 1.8-2.0, a few 2.5 and 2.5 deep. If you are drifting then i would mostly use 3.0, 3.0 deep and 3.5 as they suit the depth and drift speed the best. 

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:43 AM, Captain Spanner said:

Most of the places we fish will have ribbon weed on the bottom and be 2.5-5m deep so the jigs should tear through it if you pull smoothly enough (i fish 10lb braid and leader) there are times where you will lose it no matter what. If you are land based then you can fish lighter jigs as you do not have to combat drift speed. I would have a couple of size 1.8-2.0, a few 2.5 and 2.5 deep. If you are drifting then i would mostly use 3.0, 3.0 deep and 3.5 as they suit the depth and drift speed the best. 

do size 3 jigs work well landbased?

In short a size 3.0 will be ok, you just need to make sure you keep it moving so it doesn't snag. A size 3.0 jig will get to the strike zone faster than a 2.5 but the downside is it will be there for less time before it goes past the strike zone and into the snag zone, or you need to jig/wind it to bring it back up away from the strike zone again. If it is less than 3m deep you are probably better off with a 2.5 unless it is windy. A 2.5 or even a 2.0 wont cast as far and will take longer to get down to the strike zone but it will hover in the strike zone longer before snagging.

You can buy deep and shallow versions of the different size jigs if you want to look into that. If you like a bigger jig you might look at a 3.0S (Shallow)

• 1 month later...

I'm planning on jigging for squid more, and in preparation for this I have found the below yamashita chart useful (for all brands of course..). Apparently this is research backed although you can't help be a bit skeptical of whether they're trying to catch squid in the water or humans in the shops..

In my tackle bag I actually have the exact Yamashita's Billmack posted above but no luck for me on them yet.. however they might get more use now after seeing those beak marks! I've got a mix of cheapy's and Japanese ones and will be trying these out over the warmer months and getting more time on the water, both have worked for me in the past however there seems to be more feedback in forums of the quality jigs working better in the quiet periods.

I have found the underwater lights bring the squid in well, but at times I've had trouble catching them on jigs and  fish spikes, I will try smaller jigs next time. Let us know what worked for you!

%E5%AD%97%E3%83%81%E3%83%A3%E3%83%BC%E3%

On 8/22/2018 at 7:26 PM, jemal said:

do you lose many jigs there getting snagged?

and also what size jig do you recommend for jb?

You don't lose many jigs at JB mainly coz it's all ribbon weed and sand, no rock to snag on and lose jigs, but like Welster said minimum 10 lb leader. I find pink a good colour but I use a mixture of bright and natural colour jigs.

If you're buying try Dinga 3 Yamashita for $30

https://www.dinga.com.au/fishing-tackle/fishing-lures/squid-jigs.html

• Like 1

RUI squid jigs get a good rap for bang for buck, they're on fleabay for $11 with free postage. A mate recommended them to me they work well for him, I ordered 5 of the 2.5 last night for the lake so will try them and post back how they go vs my yamashitas. Different colours were available, will be good to have in the kit.

That's a good deal at dinga, especially with free shipping @nutsaboutfishing.